Yesterday ... and Today
We went to see a play last night, Ms J. Colleen and I. Little Ivy spent the night at her grandparents house. It was a Neil Simon play – “Come Blow Your Horn.” It was really well done! A local theatre group produced it and performed it at a venue nearby. In the past couple of years, my friend Christine and I have seen two other plays done by that group. Both were dreadful. The shows were so poorly done in fact, we considered leaving at the intermission. We stayed though, and were thoroughly disappointed.
But not this time. Colleen and I both enjoyed this show. It seems this group has finally found some talent. I’m pleased, Ms J. I may consider auditioning for them one day if my work schedule improves.
I drove over to the Mazda dealer this morning after work, and spent an hour with a salesman there. I asked him lots of questions about my new car and he was very knowledgeable, very helpful. He told me my car is currently travelling by rail (CN, unfortunately) from the Port of Vancouver to Toronto. Once it arrives here, it’ll be stored in a compound at our massive train yard north of the city. From there, it’ll be loaded onto a truck and delivered to the dealership.
“It’s probably rolling across Saskatchewan right now,” he told me.
It’s probably sitting in a siding somewhere in B.C. waiting for a fresh crew willing to endure another twelve hours of punishment, I thought.
“How long does it take, typically,” I asked, “to get a car from Vancouver to Toronto?”
“About ten days, on average.”
What’s that, Ms J? About three hundred miles per day? That’s a twenty-four hour day, remember. Lovely. Take heart, fellow countrymen. And know that the railroad I work for is moving goods across our fair land at the express rate of about twelve miles per hour. I should be proud of this?
“Hopefully,” said the man behind the desk, “you’ll have your car by the end of the month.”
I was about to thank him for his time when he raised his hand and held his palm toward me.
“No promises, though.”
Sad, innit?
***

1 Comments:
My son used to drive a car hauler, and it didn't take him 24 hours to do 300 miles. God, that was an awful job---long, lonely hours, crappy showers and sights no one wants to see.
Post a Comment
<< Home