A middle-aged WASP examines his Life, his heart and his home. Sometimes it all makes perfect sense. Not lately, though.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Thursday, October 04, 2007

Making the Right Choice

Mum's having a Thanksgiving dinner on Saturday. Nearly everyone will attend. Even my son Dan has expressed interest in going. It's one of the few times each year when we Pringles gather and catch up on what's new in our Lives. Obviously, there's something new in my Life this year. Someone actually. And she wants to come and meet my family.

Ordinarily, I'd say it was a good thing. A jolly good thing. But as it turns out, Ophelia has plans to attend another event on Saturday. She has tickets to see a stage play downtown with her daughter. They've been looking forward to it. The show is a matinée performance that won't be over until four o'clock. By the time they get home, and we drive up to Mt. Forest, it'll be seven o'clock. Dinner will be long over by then. The table will be cleared and the dishes all washed and put away. I had hoped to arrive around two and spend the afternoon visiting with siblings and parents and in-laws.

A week ago, we'd discussed it and Ophelia had expressed an interest in going. What wasn't discussed was the play and the fact that we'd arrive too late for dinner. It's a two hour drive to Mum and Dad's. In Truth, Ms J, I don't want to wait for her to get home from the theatre. I want to leave much earlier. And Dan wants to go earlier too.

I shared my feelings with her this afternoon via text messages from work.

"Let's discuss this later," she wrote. "In person."

I hope she won't be too disappointed, but I really think she ought to enjoy a Thanksgiving dinner with her own family this time. There will be so many of us at Mum's, that I'm afraid she'll be overwhelmed. And the simple Truth is, I don't want to wait until the day is almost done before setting out.

I'm flattered she wants to meet my family, Ms Journal. But there will be other opportunities. We can drive to MF another time, perhaps when things will be a little less hectic. We can visit my brother and sisters separately. I'm sure everyone will enjoy getting to know her one on one without all the hubbub of a large family gathering.

I hope she understands. I hope I'm making the right choice.

Oh, and I hope I get to see my Meagan while I'm there.

***

1 Comments:

Blogger Donna said...

I'm sure Ophelia will understand, and if she doesn't, well you could take that as an early warning sign!!

5 October 2007 at 06:06  

Post a Comment

<< Home