A middle-aged WASP examines his Life, his heart and his home. Sometimes it all makes perfect sense. Not lately, though.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Thursday, October 25, 2007

Faith Pays Off -- Again

I met a friend this morning at our local coffee shop. It's called "Birds and Beans." Good people. Friendly atmosphere. Fab coffee.

"So do you think you could have a look at my wiring?" I asked him. "I need to get the knob and tube circuits upgraded, and I've got until January to do it."

We drained our porcelain mugs and strolled off down the street to my house. I took him into the basement and stood there smiling hopefully as my friend explored the overhead wires between the floor joists. I followed him like a child as he moved from place to place, nodding here and frowning there.

"Is that all there is?" he asked finally.

I told him yes and watched as he examined his hands for dirt.

"There's not much, is there?"

"No," I said. "The inspector said there was five percent."

Larry smiled and nodded reassuringly.

"This is nothing, Dale. I can help you do this. I've got all the tools and materials I need at home. We'll decide on a day and we'll do it. No problem."

Larry goes to my church, Ms J. He's a licenced electrician. And he's Colleen's daddy.

Today, I'm thankful for friends. I'm thankful for friends I would not have met if I hadn't begun attending church. I'd never have met Colleen if I hadn't gone to church.

Today, I'm loving my Life. And I haven't written that in ... Well, that's the first time this year.

I love my Life, Ms J.

Because I have faith.

***

2 Comments:

Blogger Lorna said...

I am so there, Dale.

26 October 2007 at 18:40  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

Don't you just love older houses!

Your insurance company must be pestering you. Knob and Tube wiring can be very safe. Insurance companies are always looking for excuses to harass us. Here it is wood stoves.

As an electican I have stripped knob and tube out.(As in many things electrical there are male and female, quess which is which:) lol)

This work can be difficult. I opened a wall up once and found 5 single strands, all black; and, I need to cut into some of them for 3 way swithing. It is a puzzle!

Have fun if it is just a little in the basement without having to open walls, you are lucky.

27 October 2007 at 10:36  

Post a Comment

<< Home