A middle-aged WASP examines his Life, his heart and his home. Sometimes it all makes perfect sense. Not lately, though.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Eight Gifts That Don't Cost a Penny

Spending too much this Christmas, as usual? I am. I don't like shopping. I don't like wrapping. I'm not really a fan of the season at all, Ms J, and I'm REALLY tired of hearing people wish me "Happy Holidays." It's not "holidays", people. It is Christmas. That is the name of the holiday. Christmas. Use it. Please. You will not offend me.

But I digress. What I really wanted to share with you is a list of gifts I found today as I rummaged through my hard drive.

The Gift of Listening
But you must really listen. Don't interrupt, don't daydream, don't plan your response. Just listen.

The Gift of Affection
Be generous with appropriate hugs, kisses, pats on the back and handholds. Let these small actions demonstrate the love you have for family and friends.

The Gift of Laughter
Clip cartoons. Share articles and funny stories. Your gift will say, "I love to laugh with you."

The Gift of Solitude
There are times when we want nothing better than to be left alone. Be sensitive to those times and give the gift of solitude to others.

The Gift of a Favour
Every day, go out of your way to do something kind.

The Gift of a Written Note
It can be a simple "Thanks for the help" note or a full sonnet. A brief, handwritten note may be remembered for a lifetime.

The Gift of a Compliment
A simple and sincere, "You look great in red," "You did a super job," or "That was a wonderful meal" can make someone's day.

The Gift of a Cheerful Disposition
The easiest way to feel good is to extend a kind word to someone.




So that's it. That's all I've got to tell you today. I'm tired. Tired of doing and going and seeing and watching and eating and visiting and entertaining and shopping and mailing and ...

I'm tired, Ms J. Hurry up, December. Be gone. Bring on the new year.

I'm tired, Colleen.

Tired.

***

2 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

It's a tiring season. Hope you enjoy some of those gifts though.

I'm making the rounds to wish all of my blog friends a Merry Christmas!

Oh, and thanks so much your cards, both E and real. The real one was one of the most beautiful that I have ever seen. Unfortunately, there was no official reciprocation from me this year, so this is the best that I can do ... except for tomorrow's blog.

23 December 2008 at 13:00  
Blogger Donna said...

Happy Holidays Dale :p

We don't have to suffer that affliction here (yet). We do suffer new americanisms every day though.

Really, I hope you have a fabulous Christmas. We will be. We'll be sharing Christmas Day with Katie, Sophie, George & Dyl, and my brother too. Hope you get to see your children soon Dale. xx

23 December 2008 at 13:58  

Post a Comment

<< Home