A middle-aged WASP examines his Life, his heart and his home. Sometimes it all makes perfect sense. Not lately, though.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

This 'n That

Still alive, Ms J. Still kicking. Still struggling to find time for work and Colleen and friends and family and ... blogs.

Here's a little of what's going on here in Mimico:

I've been to work three times now since I finished training. It feels awkward to be such an old new guy, but everyone I've worked with has been helpful. There's still a lot I don't know. I do enjoy it, though. I'm certainly better off than the poor souls who strain under the cruel yoke of the BBRC. Periodically, I bump into old acquaintances at Union Station.

"Hey!" they say. "Look at you! It's good to see you smile again. They must be treating you right over there at VIA."

They're always rushed, these people. Rushing off to fetch a cup of coffee and then racing back upstairs to their train. I remember those days. Things are more relaxed for me now. I have lots of time til my train is due out, but there's little time to chat. And the topic is often the same no matter who I meet.

"All the GO jobs are gone the end of the month, eh? I don't know where I'll go. And did you hear about so-and-so? Fired, eh? That's three this month. I fuckin' hate this place."

My heart breaks for them, Ms Journal. Really it does. But what can I do?

"Hang in there," I tell them. "It'll get better."

But I know it won't. The best I can hope for is that the BBRC loses all their good, experienced people. Fires them. Or they quit. Or take their pensions. There'll be nobody left who knows anything, or cares. Then maybe, just maybe, if there's any justice in this world, the company will falter. Share prices will plummet. Their precious freight trains will rust to the rails. And the greedy pricks who run the company will grow old and die, alone and penniless.

Bitter? No, not me.

I know it's wrong to feel this way, and I'm only hurting myself and blah, blah, blah. But when I see good people intentionally hurt by corporate bullies ... Well it makes me angry. It makes me furious.




Meagan is home with her mother. She tried it on her own with RJ, but things didn't go very well. Children ought to stay with their parents until they're old enough to assume adult responsibilities. And while we're on the topic of responsible adults, let me say how disappointed I am in my daughter's choice of address. 'Nuff said.




Colleen and I spent the Thanksgiving weekend up north. A friend of hers was married on October 11 and we were invited. The setting was beautiful. The wedding was held outdoors on the verge of a picturesque lake in the wilderness 500 kms north of Mimico. We drove there amid the spectacle of autumn colours. It was absolutely, breathtakingly gorgeous.

Here's a few pics:









I'm in Love, Ms J. I love my new car. I love my new job. I love my kids, both of them, although they can't imagine how deeply. I love the fall colours in my Ontario. And I love Colleen.






I don't say it much anymore, but I love my Life!

***

3 Comments:

Blogger PBS said...

Great photos! And it's good to hear that things are going so well for you!

23 October 2008 at 14:28  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

So, did you stop to use the Internet? It looked inviting except I couldn't see the monitor.

30 October 2008 at 19:20  
Blogger Unknown said...

REALLY love the pictures! They make me ache for my boyhood in Ontario!

And Anvilcloud, the monitor is very clever. It is the thinnest monitor you will ever see--as thin as paper! And when you take it away from the processing unit, the text stays on it! Costs practically nothing! Fantastic! What will they think of next?

(You can also use these monitors for pen-based computing--no keyboard required.)

3 November 2008 at 03:01  

Post a Comment

<< Home