Over the Weekend
I had a lovely long weekend, Ms J. It was a Good Friday, a great Saturday, a brilliant Sunday and a peaceful Monday.
I spent Saturday with Colleen, so of course, that was great.
Sunday was Easter Sunday. It began with an Easter sunrise service on the shore of Lake Ontario. About fifteen stalwart friends from church stood together and watched the sun make a grand entrance, gently spreading its golden blanket across the water. We heard Colleen read from a book of modern psalms. Her mother offered a prayer to help us welcome Spring and to rejoice in the Resurrection. And I told about an ancient Celtic ceremony wherein all the fires of the village were extinguished and then rekindled from one common flame. I spoke about purification, community, and fresh beginnings. We took candles and lit them, each from the same one. We sang hymns: "This Is The Day That The Lord Has Made" and "Morning Has Broken".
It was a simple service, Ms J, the third in as many years. It was planned and presented by Colleen and her mum. And by me. The weather was cold as usual, but we braved the elements and found the experience quite rewarding.
Over the years as a railroader, I've witnessed countless sunrises. Each one is awe-inspiring. Each one is glorious. Each one is sacred.
"And it's bedtime for kids in Australia!" remarked Ivy with a wide grin.
Even she acknowledges the mystery in it.
The successful applicants for the three VIA positions have been posted. My name is not among them. In Truth, I tried not to think much about it over the weekend. I refused to allow myself to get too excited about it. You know, just in case. The jobs went to two guys from Toronto and one out-of-towner. All have more seniority than I. Rumour has it that three more positions will become vacant there before summer. Maybe then ...
I'll be monitoring the situation closely, even as I relax on holidays for another three weeks. I have openly declared my disdain for my employer. I do not wish to remain part of a company who treat employees with such callous indifference, with such cruelty. My pension is transferable. I'd earn more money. I'd work with experienced people every day instead of hastily trained, poorly equipped, "teddy bears". Yes, I'd be away from home longer per trip. But accommodations are more than adequate for away-from-home employees.
Rumour has it that three more positions will become vacant there before summer.
Still waiting, Ms Journal. Waiting and hoping.
***

3 Comments:
Sorry about Dale. Maybe next time.
Glad that you had a good weekend. I love Easter because it does not (yet) have all the trappings of Christmas, so it seems that there is more freedom to ponder the mysteries of God.
Thanks for visiting my blog!
Fingers crossed for you for next time, Dale. They've got to be able to recognise a good man when they see him!
Post a Comment
<< Home