A middle-aged WASP examines his Life, his heart and his home. Sometimes it all makes perfect sense. Not lately, though.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Friday, November 02, 2007

Morley and Me

I worked a GO train yesterday. Morley was the brakeman. There’s only one hogger anymore on GO trains, Ms J, and so the company has ordered the brakeman to ride with the hogger as a second pair of eyes. For safety, you know. Safety. Pfff. Anyway, Morley and I struck up a conversation on the locomotive as we made our way to Oshawa from Union Station.

We were talking about the way things used to be and I told Morley about Dad’s book. Ten years ago, Dad wrote his memoirs. I helped him put his story into a book which we printed. We made twenty copies and Dad shared his book with family and treasured friends. There’s a copy in Ottawa on file with the National Archives. Morley was quite fascinated with the book and in the man who’d lived such an interesting Life.

“Who was your dad?” he asked. “Was he famous or something?”

It bothered me a bit to hear him refer to Dad in the past tense. He is still alive, after all. I offered him the correction and told him no, my dad’s not famous. He’s just my dad.

“I think he’s the most interesting guy in the world,” I said. “But that’s because he’s my dad.”

I glanced over at Morley and he was smiling. I knew he understood completely and so I added, “And I love him.”

“You’re lucky to still have him,” said Morley. “My dad died in 1989. Cancer and a heart attack. He was sixty-nine. How old is your dad?”

We passed under a bridge just then and the roar of the locomotive made conversation difficult. I waited til we emerged into the sunshine again before I spoke.

“Eighty-five.”

Morley nodded and in the easy lull that followed, I wondered how it felt for him after eighteen years. Did he still think of his dad? Still miss him? Does the sadness ever go away?

I rang the bell for a crossing and watched as a car driver hurried to beat the gates.

“Did he know you hired on the railroad?” I asked.

“Oh God, yeah. He was so proud of me when I ...”

His voice trailed off then and I looked over at him. Morley raised his hand and waved me off. His cheeks were wet with tears.

I looked away and back to the track ahead of us. I knew the answer to my unspoken question. It doesn’t get better, Ms J. It just keeps hurting, I think. Tears filled my eyes and I wiped them away before they stained my cheeks. Morley didn’t know it perhaps, but we cried together like a pair of women – he for his beloved father, lost now to death, and I for my father, not yet gone but still adored.

Strange things happen sometimes when men are alone and feeling safe. Strange and utterly beautiful things happen, Ms J, when men are not afraid to be human.

***

4 Comments:

Blogger Lorna said...

Beautiful...

2 November 2007 at 19:38  
Blogger Micki said...

hmmm...

2 November 2007 at 21:43  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

A lovely touching tale. Men don't often share feelings. One reason I prefer the company of women.

Years ago, I tried to share my feelings, about the tragic death of someone we both knew, with my oldest friend. He tossed it off with a glib "easy come easy go!" I left in tears.

On another occasion, when I was trying to share my grief with him over the loss of my marriage. He said, "Forget her there are lots of fish in the sea." I should have learned the first time that he was wonderful in good times but uncapable of emotionally responding in difficult times. Never again, did I share!

You can get over the loss of a parent. My mother has been dead for 30 years and my Dad 15. I think of them both often and fondly. Sometimes I feel they are just a phone call away.

2 November 2007 at 22:36  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Maybe it's an age thing with men to become more appreciative and more emotional.

3 November 2007 at 09:22  

Post a Comment

<< Home