A middle-aged WASP examines his Life, his heart and his home. Sometimes it all makes perfect sense. Not lately, though.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Sunday, November 20, 2005

Much I Do About Nothing

OK. So I’m eating my words. And I must say, Ms J, they’re a tad bitter.

The fundraiser was quite a success. The final tally is not yet in, but there were forty people in attendance at $10. a head. There were raffle tickets sold. And drinks and cookies. I think it went really well.

Cyril and I began the night’s entertainment. We sang four songs:

· “God and Man”, an old blues song by Brownie McGhee & Sonny Terry
· “You Never Even Call Me By My Name” written by the late Steve Goodman and made a moderate country hit in the 70’s by David Allan Coe

And two folk songs by John Prine:

· “Christmas in Prison”
· and “That’s the Way That the World Goes Round

If you’re not familiar with the music of Steve Goodman or John Prine, I highly recommend either of these talented musicians. Prine is an amazing lyricist. As Cy and I sang his song last night, I thought of how worried I’d been and how everything had come out fine anyway.

That’s the way that the world goes round,
You’re up one day, the next you’re down
It’s a half an inch of water and you think you’re gonna drown
That’s the way that the world goes round.


So true, Ms J. So true.

In total, there were five different musical acts: A young man played (made noise, really) with his highly amplified electric guitar, a young lady played two incredible numbers on the piano, another young man entertained us with an African drum (he was awesome!) and Girl Alex and a friend performed The Eagles’ “Hotel California”. G.A. played her acoustic guitar while her friend sang the words. It’s a popular song and the audience sang along. Then it was time for our play.

It was really quite well done. There were a couple of missed cues, a few tiny glitches in our lines and one late lighting cue, but all in all, it was pretty doggone good. Especially, considering the fact that we’d only had about four rehearsals! The audience was receptive and clapped and laughed appropriately.

Yesterday, I wrote “Church people will attend this event. My friends. People who've seen me on stage before. I have a reputation to protect. I don't want to look like an idiot.”

My friends, Ms Journal. Church people. They are very forgiving, very understanding. They’re my friends!

It’s a half an inch of water and you think you’re gonna drown…

That’s Life, isn’t it? That’s the way that the world goes round.

***

2 Comments:

Blogger Heather Plett said...

Sounds great! Congrats! And way to go, helping your young friend. She's lucky to have you.

21 November 2005 at 09:39  
Blogger Dora said...

Everything is a lesson, isn't it Dale?

21 November 2005 at 11:07  

Post a Comment

<< Home