A middle-aged WASP examines his Life, his heart and his home. Sometimes it all makes perfect sense. Not lately, though.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Too Thin

A Hollywood actress once opined "One can never be too rich or too thin." She was speaking in literal terms. When I say I'm too thin, I'm speaking metaphorically. Look at me, Ms J! Could you ever imagine, even for a moment, that I'm actually too thin? Ha! I think not. I am, however, spreading myself too thin. As usual, I'm involving myself in too many activities all at once and I'm beginning to feel the strain.

Girl Alex's play will open on November 19. I have lines to learn. Quickly. It helps that we've all done these scenes before, but that was four or five years ago. My mind has become clogged with other things since then. Lots of other things.

The play in Oakville is a much bigger event, but in my mind, no less important than helping G.A. achieve her goal of traveling to South America early next year. I've promised her my support and I will honour that promise. Unfortunately, I've also made a commitment to The Burl-Oak Theatre Group to perform in their production which opens in January. Rehearsals there continue thrice weekly. Meanwhile, my friends in Caledon have a show currently running. "Lend Me A Tenor." It's an American farce involving opera singers and mistaken identities. I'll bet it's good and I'd like to see it. But when? How? All my days and evenings are booked.

Every November for the past five years, my friend Andra and I have gone to an outlet mall to begin our Christmas shopping. We make a day of it. The mall is about an hour's drive north of Mimico. We enjoy a car ride through the countryside together. We shop together. Andie makes reservations at a gorgeous country restaurant and we stop there for a late dinner on the way home. It's always fun to spend a day with my friend.

This year, however, our trip will require that I compromise my values. I'll have to lie. In order to accomodate Andra, I'll have to miss a rehearsal in Oakville. I really don't like missing a rehearsal, Ms J. It's not fair to the other actors. But I see no other way out. Andie has been a good and true friend to me. She was a constant support and sounding board for me while I grieved the loss of Donna, my second wife, and the one I loved. I don't want to disappoint her. On the morning of Sunday, November 20, I'll suddenly be stricken with some dreadful affliction that will keep me from attending a full run of Act 1. They'll have to make do without Andy Campbell, the police chief.

This coming weekend was to be my Meagan weekend. I called her last night to ask if I could keep her just one day instead of the entire weekend. I'm needed on Friday night to rehearse G.A's play with Frankie, and on Sunday at two different rehearsals: In Oakville in the afternoon and later, here in Mimico again with Alex and friends.

My girl has a dad who likes to perform in the theatre. She understands. And she accepts it. But I feel guilty for not spending time with her. I'll miss a rehearsal to spend time with Andra. Why must Meagan wait? But I will be seeing her, won't I? Just not for the whole weekend. Why do I still feel like crap?

Bob wants to meet for lunch. Larry hopes to have breakfast with me after his morning shift one day soon. Jenn would like to see me. I've promised Cy I'd pop over this afternoon to practice a couple of songs we're going to perform at the "Coffee House" at the church on November 26th. My Nerd plans to return sometime on Saturday to install a fresh (and legal) version of Windows XP. And Brian O'Connell from Controlled Comfort Heating and Air Conditioning will be round next week to begin installing a central air conditioning system while we await the gas hook-up for the furnace.

My back is in spasm. My neck hurts when I turn my head. It's pouring rain outside and my bad leg is tender today.

Like I said, Ms J. I'm spreading myself too thin. Good job I'm on vacation.

***

6 Comments:

Blogger gemmak said...

Good Lord man...I'm borderline nervous breakdown just reading that! Chill! ;o)

9 November 2005 at 14:17  
Blogger Michelle said...

Mr Popularity huh! Meagan's had a lots of quality time with you lately, i bet she understands, don't stress...cool your jets!

9 November 2005 at 15:56  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Ah, you're still young and full of piss and vinegar. You'll get through and nobody's going to be traumatiized for life. You're in a busy cycle. Thank God that your ankle is letting you do all of this,eh?

9 November 2005 at 19:26  
Blogger PBS said...

Wow, you need a rest from your vacation!

9 November 2005 at 20:20  
Blogger Zette said...

Holy Moly that's a lot of socializing in a very short timeframe. However, the alternative to being ABLE to be so busy (of which you've had more than your fair share of this year) makes this all that more sweet. Enjoy it; enjoy the season, the friends and of course Meagan. You deserve it.

9 November 2005 at 20:37  
Blogger Sarah said...

Dale - as far as lying so you can go to the outlet mall... why do you need to lie? Just tell them you have something else you need to do. That is the truth. And if someone is nosey and askes what it is you need to do, look them square in the eye and tell them you have quality time to spend with a friend.

And don't beat yourself up for "choosing Andrea over Megan". It's not like that You have alot to do and you also have a tradition to maintain.

You're busy enough, don't give guilt a place to take up too!

10 November 2005 at 07:18  

Post a Comment

<< Home