A middle-aged WASP examines his Life, his heart and his home. Sometimes it all makes perfect sense. Not lately, though.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Saturday, November 19, 2005

Everything the Hard Way

Why do kids want to do things the hard way? Why won't they consider the possibility that adults have some experience in Life and perhaps have discovered a few shortcuts?

Alex wants to use pre-recorded music in the play to separate the scenes. A nice idea. However, she STILL has not found someone to play the music and stop the music at appropriate times. This uncertainty adds MASSIVE amounts of stress to actors who already have enough to worry about.

"Maybe we could do it without music, G.A." I told her last night. "It just makes things more complicated. Maybe you might consider keeping it simple."

But she's determined to have music. So we will do our best. But when the music begins late or not at all, or doesn't stop when it's supposed to, it will be the actors who look and feel foolish, not her.

Last night we met at the church to rehearse. Dress rehearsal. It was to begin at 7:30. I had to get angry and yell at people before we finally began to rehearse. It was a quarter to nine. We've had very few rehearsals, Ms J. We really need the practice.

Someone arrived at the church last night with speakers and amplifier and microphones. It's professional quality stuff. Way more power and gadgetry than we need for a few songs in a church gymnasium. Heavy, heavy equipment. Yards of cable.

"I'll have to take this home tonight," said Alex after we'd fumbled our way through the play once. "I can't leave it here. It's expensive equipment. I'm just borrowing it from a friend."

Of course, it was assumed I'd be driving Alex and Sky home and that I'd help them carry all that crap up the stairs and load it into my car and take it to their place fifteen minutes away where I'd help them unload it all and carry it into their apartment. It would have to come back to the church again the very next day.

"I have a key for the Sunday School room, G.A.," I told her. "Why not lock it in there overnight? It'll be safe there, I promise. Anyway, I'll be back here in the morning to help build our Christmas creche. I'll be able to keep my eye on it for you."

But again, the girl was determined to do it the hard way.

"No. I really think it should go home with me and Sky. I just don't feel right about leaving this stuff here."

I was so angry, I wanted to scream. The Sunday School room is about twenty feet from the gym. But she wanted to carry all that shit upstairs and load it in the car and take it to her place, only to bring it all back again in a few hours.

I just now received a call from Sky.

"Do you have any containers we can mix juice in? We want to serve juice at the thing tonight."

I suggested buying bottles or cartons of juice instead. Apple juice. Orange juice. Whatever.

"Wouldn't that be easier than mixing juice? I asked.

"No. We've already bought a bunch of cans of frozen juice. We want to use them."

I offered to buy the frozen juice from them and suggested again that pre-packaged ready to drink juice would be much simpler.

"OK. Never mind, then. We'll find somebody who has some juice containers."

GGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know, Ms J. I'm over-reacting. But I've given Alex so much of my time - my vacation time - driving her here and there and letting her use my computer and helping her plan this event. I'm stressed out about it. I want her to do some thinking on her own. And I'm sick to death of helping her do everything the hard way.

Church people will attend this event. My friends. People who've seen me on stage before. I have a reputation to protect. I don't want to look like an idiot. But my young friend thinks it will all fall together, with a bare minimum of planning.

Don't get me wrong, Ms J. I like Alex. She's very important to me. But I will be so relieved tonight when this is finally over.

***

1 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I've asked myself the same question many times. Driven myself half crazy. The answer is that they simply do have to make their own mistakes and find out the hard way. It's like it's the unwritten but immutable law of the universe.

19 November 2005 at 22:54  

Post a Comment

<< Home