More Thoughts About Dan
Sometimes, Ms Journal, church really hurts. Yesterday morning was one of those times. I can't even remember clearly what Linda's sermon was about, but it seemed to speak to my heart. Even the hymns and prayers seemed to invite me to let go of my anger and disappointment in my wayward son, and move toward forgiveness, acceptance, and Love. The tears rolled freely and copiously down my cheeks throughout most of the service.
Dan is my son. He's nineteen. His recent past has involved drug addictions, mental illness, court appearances, violence. His mother introduced him to the daughter of a friend late last winter and they've become a couple. Maxine. Maxine's mother is an alcoholic. Maxine has, I believe, fetal alcohol syndrome. She's mildly retarded. When Maxine's home Life became difficult, Kelly (my ex-wife) invited her to live with them. Dan and Maxine soon became bunk mates. Maxine now carries my son's baby in her seventeen year old womb. The child is due in April.
I am angry. I am hurt and disappointed. I had hoped for something better for my son. But like Girl Alex and, I suppose, most young people, Dan prefers to suffer Life the hard way. Yes, he's had some emotional and mental problems. I am aware of that. I am compassionate, but only up to a point. Sooner or later, one must take responsibility for one's own situation and act to improve things. But not Dan. He has stumbled from the path and continued to crash stubbornly through Life's brambles. He has no education. He has a low-paying job at a local drugstore. And he has taken a retarded girl as his beloved and gotten her pregnant.
What will he do now, Ms J? How will he live? And how will he care for two children (the infant and its mother) when he cannot look after himself?
Luckily, Dan has all the answers. He's nineteen. He's probably not concerned in the least. He's got it all figured out. The Truth, Ms Journal, as I see it, is this:
The boy hasn't sense enough to know how dire his situation is, or how desperate it may become.
I am an adult. I'm able to see the potential for hardship and heartache in the months ahead. I worry about my son. And yes, I think about the unborn child, too. My grandchild. In Truth, I don't think much about Maxine. Isn't that awful? I just don't feel anything for this poor waif. Nothing. My secret wish is that she might just quietly vanish, taking the child with her. But I don't think that will happen. Daniel is, according to his sister, trying to demonstrate responsibility, albeit too late to prevent the birth of a child. He's suggested recently that he'll probably marry Maxine.
God help them both.
I see the folly in that from personal experience. I married the first girlfriend I ever had. We had children together. I didn't love Kelly, but I was too inexperienced even to know it at the time. I just wanted to be a grown-up and get married and be a daddy. But at least I waited until I was married, and had a good job before I became a daddy. And it was still very difficult.
What about Christmas, Ms J? What will happen this year? I hope it's not as sad and sorry a Christmas as it was last year. Remember? I'll never forget. For more than ten years, Kelly and I have shared Christmas with Dan and Meagan. One year, I'd have the kids on Christmas Eve and the next year, I'd have them Christmas Day. What will happen this year? Do I buy gifts for Dan? Do I buy gifts for Maxine? As I say, I don't even like her. Dan's angry with me. I'm angry with him. Meagan loves us both. And Kelly ... Don't get me started, Ms J.
Everything's changing. Getting complicated. Kelly's planning to move at the end of this month. So says Meagan. To Oshawa. Dan and Maxine are a package now. I can't have Dan without seeing this girl and her swollen abdomen. I don't want to see that, Ms Journal. I just don't want to look at it. At all. Moot point, though. Dan doesn't want to see me. And this baby ... The baby will arrive in the spring. What then?
Will Kelly move into Tim's mother's home? Tim, Kelly, Meagan, Emily. Four temporary houseguests. That will be stressful. And what of my boy and his girlfriend? Where will they live? How will they live? Will they move in with Tim's mother along with the rest of them? Or will Dan find an apartment to share with Maxine? He earns about $800. a month, Ms J. It will cost at least $500. a month to rent a crappy flat above a store in Acton.
You may tire of hearing about Dan's challenges, and about my struggle to accept these inevitable changes, Ms Journal. But I make no apologies. I will continue to type out my thoughts and feelings until it begins to make sense to me. And that may well take a long, long time.
You know, Ms J, when I talk to you, I know God is listening too.
***

8 Comments:
My son is 34 and is an alcoholic. He has been in jail three times. The last time he spent 30 days in jail on totaly false charges. He had to file bankruptcy. He used to talk foolishness because of the effects of alcohol. For several years I waited for the phone call that he was dead.
Last night I had a long phone conversation with him. In many ways it was the best conversation in the last 20 years. He's conquering alcoholism and is putting his life together again. I've watched him inch his way up over the last six years and it's more than I could ever have hoped.
Your son is so young and it may take a few years but it sounds like he is trying and he has you as an example. I'll bet he makes it and one day you'll be encouraging some other father by telling about your son and his growth and success.
I'll be here reading and rooting for you!
PS....remember MY PS!!!!!
BIG HUGS SWEETIE!
(I kid you NOT....my 'word verification is this: OMYPSGRW. LOL!)
You have every right to feel as you do. Don't feel guilty because your feelings are not as others or society would have believe, be the correct ones. Your doing a fine job of working your way through your feelings, be true to yourself Dale, only you knows you.
My heart and prayers go out to you. I can only imagine the turmoil of watching your son make bad choices. Keep bloggin' and we'll keep reading and hoping.
I am not an overly religious person, you know that. But there is a saying that I like...let go and let God. I can feel your disappointment and sadness about this situation, but you can't change it. Hell, you don't even have to like it but you have to have faith that things will work out for Dan. Hang in there. Hugs!
Dale...
Love him.
Patient, kind, not self seeking, you know the description.
You're having a difficult time processing your dissapointment. Keep working at it. It sounds so simple but love will overcome it if you get out of the way. That's not to suggest that you don't have a right to your feelings (feelings are neither right nor wrong - they just are)but let your love for your son lead the way.
Extend the first hand....just by saying that you love him and you hope that he will be patient while you work through the parental things that you are dealing with.
Remember how you had to process your anger when he was with you after you broke your leg? This is the same lesson for you....except this time you get a wonderful gift (a baby - even if you don't see it that way yet)
Call him, tell him that you admit you are having problems processing this all but that your love for him won't let you quit.
Love him Dale....forgiveness is a process and remember that while he may be making some of the same mistakes that you made - he is not you. Bring your frustrations here and let us help you...while all you bring to Dan is just pure love.
That's my $$'s worth because I care about you :)
Dale, I've been following along here....PLEASE, in an adult way, control your personal feelings about the girl enough to be courteous, civil and polite to her as a guest in your home.
You don't have to like what she is or what she does, but your son does. Out of love for your son and trust that everything works out for the best be kind to her and do NOT run her down to anyone or let anyone run her down to you.
Just because you are mentally low on the IQ totem does NOT mean you don't have a loving and kind heart or other talents.
My dad hated my first mate enough to get drunk and try to track us down with a shot gun to kill him.
When that didn't work, he cut off all comunication with me, his eldest, and my children, his first grand children.
I have always remembered that pain. No matter what kind of losers the kids dragged home I treated them with respect and courtesy in my home. The kids got hurt over the break ups when they came but they stayed home and healed.
What dad did caused all of us heart pains that took years to heal and probably contributed to my stubborn insistance on making that first marriage work way beyond the point of good sense.
Don't give your boy anything to prove to you! Support him and love him through whatever he tries.
He may fail but you will still be in his life enough to help him deal with learning that failure is not the end of the world.
He may have chosen wrongly in your eyes but it is his choice and his lesson to learn.
I think perhaps your lesson here may be that Gods love must be larger than we can imagine because he loves EACH of us the way we are.
As humans it's hard enough to love your family through their stupid decisions, much less love our neighors.
Think twice, act once....LOL!
I am seconding the advice to keep telling Dan that you love him. It is not the optimal situation, but often times it is the responsibility of a child that melts the heart and provides the segway from irresponsibility to adulthood. You have every right to feel disappointed, and as parents we can tell our kids we don't like how they are behaving, or what they are choosing, but we still love them. As the child who showed up half way through college pregnant - I can tell you that it really means a lot.
Post a Comment
<< Home