A middle-aged WASP examines his Life, his heart and his home. Sometimes it all makes perfect sense. Not lately, though.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Friday, January 02, 2009

Too Much Christmas

Hello, Ms J. You're probably wondering where I've been. Why no New Year's post? What's become of my daily reports and musings, lately? There was a time when you could rely on something new here. Every day brought a new incite into my daily challenges and struggles. So what's happened, then? Have I forsaken you, Ms J? Left you for another woman? Fallen ill? No. None of that. I'm fine, really. Just tired. Exhausted.

First, let me tell you how tired I am of Christmas, how sick I am of it.

Christmas is, for us Christians, the most holy day of the calendar. It's a special day. It's the day we remember and celebrate the birth of Christ, the "reason for the season." Christmas comes but once a year. That keeps it feeling special. But lately, it seems, the season lasts a full two months. Retailers start replacing Halloween decorations with Christmas ones in their stores as soon as October closes. Witches and ghosts flee the shop windows and Santa arrives immediately with his reindeer to take their places.

Personally, Christmas begins with a growing unease about having to venture out into the bowels of retail Hell to select useless gewgaws for people who don't need them. These "gifts" must be wrapped and stored until the obligatory social gatherings where the noise of crowds and kids and family and ...

I sound like Ebenezer Scrooge, don't I? I don't care.

This year, I had Christmas at least four times: I entertained my siblings and their families at my home. I participated in a Christmas dinner at Colleen's mum's place with about twenty adults and kids. I spent Christmas morning with Colleen and Ivy. And only yesterday, I celebrated again with Colleen's family, watching while grandkids opened gifts from aunts and uncles and grandparents.

I don't know about you, Ms J, but to me, there's nothing special about a Christmas that lasts two months and is celebrated four times. It's no longer something to be enjoyed, but rather something to be endured.

I'm sick of it. I'm completely exhausted. I rarely sleep in my own bed anymore. I'm here in Windsor or beside Colleen in her bed. (She got a new bed for Christmas, by the way, so it's not as uncomfortable as it used to be.) It just seems to me that I've been running non-stop for months now. I have no time to blog here. No time for my personal journal. I even e-mailed the bloody thing to myself in the hope of accessing it while I'm in Windsor. But this morning, when I tried to open it, I discovered that the hotel computers have an older version of MS Word and my journal won't open. Always busy, I am, but accomplishing nothing.

My eyes are half-closed. My head feels fuzzy. My arms and legs are heavy. And speaking of heavy ... I can't imagine how much weight I've gained lately.

Blah. Christmas is over, finally, and I say good riddance. My New Year's resolution ought to be to regain control of my Life. To lose weight. To slow down. To take rest and rediscover my calm centre. I ought to resolve to find Life's rhythm again.

And I won't find it by dashing off madly in all directions.

***

4 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Get yourself a laptop, silly. :)

You're welcome.

4 January 2009 at 01:00  
Blogger Remi said...

Actually, I'm kind of old school. Go to a good book or paper shop and get a good solid notebook and pen. I recommend Moleskines, Semikolons or, if you have a de Serres art store nearby, one of de Serres' moleskine knockoffs (they're quite good and a bit bigger than the moleskines). The best thing is you don't have to plug them in.

Of course, that ignores the main issue. Sadly, I've come to realize that the days must be getting shorter. Maybe it's a global warming thing, but the days seem much shorter than they did when I was in my early 20s. When compared to the long long days of childhood, I start to feel truly ripped off. Time is such an elusive quantity. I've just started to accept that I'm never going to have as much time as I want or feel I should have so I take what free time I can and try to be happy with it.

4 January 2009 at 08:46  
Blogger PBS said...

Yep, it's good to have all the craziness of the holiday season over and done!

4 January 2009 at 14:28  
Blogger Donna said...

Bah humbug!! ;)

I love Christmas. 4 celebrations = 4 x the fun.

What's it you say Dale? Live. Love. Laugh. Can't remember if I got that right ... Certainly sounds like you need a break though.

Take care. xx

7 January 2009 at 06:14  

Post a Comment

<< Home