A middle-aged WASP examines his Life, his heart and his home. Sometimes it all makes perfect sense. Not lately, though.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Saturday, May 24, 2008

Censorship - Afloat in a Leaky Vessel

I received a note from a friend recently.

"I've been reading your blog. Only someone who really cares for you would say what I have to say. Shall I hold forth, or hold back?"

She has a way with words, this girl. That's what I admire about her, Ms J - that, and the fact that she's a published playwright. Anyway, I invited her to tell me what was on her mind. She didn't hold back.

"You could get fired or worse for what you write about your employer. I don't want to see you destroy yourself this way, Dale. Either delete these posts or close the blog."

Or something to that effect.

She's right, isn't she? If I've discovered anything about the new regime at work, it's their vindictiveness. Not only do they demand compliance ("100% compliance 100% of the time"), they're quick to punish severely those who might dare to disobey. I have no doubt I'd suffer discipline if this blog were discovered by company officials.

My daughter disagrees.

"They can't touch you, Dad," she says. "In Civics class, we're learning about the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms. We have the right to freedom of speech. And we have the right to freedom of expression. You can say whatever you want."

I suppose she's right, but only to a point. It would seem that if you're rich and powerful, the same laws don't always apply. Powerful people often retain their power by subjugating weaker ones. It's always been that way. I believe it will remain so.

What shall I do, then? Close the blog? I don't want to do that. Writing is something I enjoy. And it's made more enjoyable by sharing it with others. But lately, it seems that I can't say what I want here. Apparently, the internet is not a suitable, safe or appropriate medium for the expression of honest emotion. When I wrote about Meagan's boyfriend, he was hurt by it. He was shocked and saddened by the things I said about him. Much of it was untrue, however it was a reflection of my feelings at the time. We can say whatever is on our minds in the privacy of our own homes, Ms J, but when we put it on the internet to share with the world ... well, that's a different thing entirely. I understand this.

So now I'm faced with the daunting task of reviewing a few hundred blog posts and deleting the parts that might be deemed offensive by my masters.

I feel discouraged, Ms Journal. But Dianne's point is well taken. I'd be a fool not to heed her advice.

***

6 Comments:

Blogger Remi said...

I'm for keeping the blog going. I'm not sure whether the posts are that bad or not or whether the company will care so I withold my opinion on that but hope you keep blogging.

24 May 2008 at 13:16  
Blogger Jennytc said...

I thought you had made the blog private to invited readers, Dale? In which case you will be OK.

24 May 2008 at 16:18  
Blogger Unknown said...

Meagan's point about the Charter (or the First Amendment here in the US) is only true as regards the government. The government has to respect your freedom of speech, but a company does not. If you were punished or fired for something you had written (or said in the workplace), your only defense would be if the company had not specifically forbid it. But if the company DID forbid it, in an employee handbook, for instance, you'd be up the creek. I'd say chances are good that there is some prohibition somewhere in the union contract, employee handbook, etc.
About the broader point that you can't spill your every thought on a blog, yes, that's true. Maybe you should have a private journal for that, and tamer stuff on the blog, eh?

24 May 2008 at 23:43  
Blogger nora leona said...

Even if your current company does not care, more and more potential employers are "Googling" canidates.
I hate that I cannot be open and honest on my blog, but family members and friends read mine.
Good luck!

25 May 2008 at 02:17  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

This has always made me nervous for you, and I think I have said so in the past. Whether your blog is supposedly private or not, I worry about what you put out there. Maybe private makes it safe but much was written before it went private and you've got to wonder if that's still trackable in some way. Beyond that the WWW is a very public place, and I'm not sure how safe "private" really is.

I don't think you need to close the blog, but I would be more comfortable if you held back on the work thing. I know it's therapeutic to blow off steam though.

25 May 2008 at 13:39  
Blogger Dora said...

I remember when I first met you in the blog world, Dale and how much I enjoyed you and your post/thoughts. We shared some troubled parenthood issues and connected in many ways.

Over the past year.five, I have watched your post turn bitter, pungent and negative to the point that I found it draining to read your thoughts.
What was once a father filled with love for his kids and love for life and God's grace as well as his family and friends....turned sour and rotten and got lost in the muck.

Every once in a while, I'd risk checking in to see if perhaps something may have changed.

Get on the other side of the tracks, Dale - stop robbing yourself of the many blessings that are holding space in your life. Let go of your addiction of hatred for Kelly and other people who don't fit your mold.

Instead - embrace that grace that's been there all along, love your children for who they are.....and open your hearts to the wonderful things that other people can share with you.

Once you stop holding on to the hatred that you have for your company, Kelly, (insert name of whoever) and the changes in your life.....and start focusing on how you are going to make the best of what life you have left.....the company will lose it's hold on your soul.

They don't deserve the hold that you hand over to them...and you deserve better than you are giving yourself right now.

There. I've said my piece. I hope you'll take it in the spirit intended.

25 May 2008 at 22:01  

Post a Comment

<< Home