A middle-aged WASP examines his Life, his heart and his home. Sometimes it all makes perfect sense. Not lately, though.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Friday, October 12, 2007

Another Honda? No, I Don't Think So

I met Bob at Lakeshore Honda this morning. He walked toward me and stuck his hand out.

"Hey, Buddy," he said. "How ya doing? Long time no see."

We shared a laugh and a hand shake and turned toward the new Hondas parked in the lot. The sun shone on the new paint and shiny chrome. These cars were pristine. But I had some misgivings.

We stood together and peered into a side window and after a moment, Bob spoke.

"Do you like these Hondas?" he asked. "Honestly? 'Cuz I don't."

I'd been having some second thoughts about them myself, Ms J, and my friend only validated my feelings. I wrinkled my nose.

"I don't know, Robert J. I guess they're alright, but ..."

"But you like the look of the Mazda better, don't you? Hmmm?"

I turned toward him. His eyebrows were raised and he was nodding his head. His broad smile was evident behind his bushy beard.

"Yeah, Bobbo," I confessed. "I do prefer the Mazda. Do you think we ought to test drive the Civic anyway?"

"It's up to you, man. Doesn't matter to me. I don't see much point in test driving something you don't like, though."

I stared at him for a moment. Now I was nodding my head and smiling.

"Are we done here, then?" he asked.

"Yeah," I said. "Yeah, we're done."

"OK. No worries. I'll catch you later." And he turned to go.

I called after him.

"Bob?"

"Hmmm?"

"Thanks. I appreciate you meeting me here today, even if it was for nothing."

"It wasn't for nothing," he grinned. "I mighta just saved you from buying another car you don't like. Are you going back to see the Mazda guy?"

"I think so, yeah."

"Wait til Monday," said Bob. "You don't want to look too anxious. Wait til Monday and I'll go with you. A little moral support, eh? Keep you from doing the wrong thing."

I thought about what he'd said as I drove home. Bob's a good friend, Ms J. And that's one of the advantages of having friends who care.

They keep you from doing the wrong thing.

***

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I think that you believe we only live once.... Go for the Mazda with all the extras my friend.

12 October 2007 at 11:33  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

Jump off the train in Oakville and take a Lamborgini for a test drive;).

12 October 2007 at 16:56  
Blogger Michelle said...

Hey sausage! Guess what? I just brought myself a brand new car!! Its not even a week old yet :o)

Like you, i loved the Mazda 3....they nearly had me UNTIL, i went to the Ford dealer. I took the new Ford Focus for a drive. The boot, the glovebox, the inside...waaaaaaaaay bigger than the Mazda 3. It came with so many more extras than the Mazda 3 and its much more quiet drive. I love the way it grips the road.
After test driving it, i did some research on the net.....the Ford Focus came up trumps on every single mechanical point. Only difference was that the Mazda ended up being $1000 less, but. you could tell!!
The Ford Focus is a European built car.....check out the windscreen in it.....it truly is amazing.....absolutely love it!

13 October 2007 at 01:28  

Post a Comment

<< Home