Sunday Night
It's Sunday evening. I've had a fun weekend. I had guests here for dinner on Saturday - friends, really. Christine joined Allan and me for a dinner of mashed potatoes and breaded pork chops. After dinner, we went to see a play. Christine won four tickets in a raffle and opted to take Allan and me and another friend, Bob, out to the theatre. We saw a pantomime performance of Hansel and Gretel. It was VERY adult and quite enjoyable.
After the play, I rushed off alone to a neighbourhood party. It was really fun. The hosts are friends of mine from church - The MacPhersons. Good people. Great party.
Karen is a gracious hostess and her husband, Cyril is a talented guitarist. He played for an hour or so while we all stood round and sang. There were about eight or ten of us all crowded round Cy's music stand and as we sang, I was suddenly filled with joy. I felt a powerful sense of community among us, Ms J, a feeling of togetherness. And in that moment, all was right with the world. I actually left the group at one point, and walked around to face them and my chest filled with the Spirit and I smiled and smiled. We were from different backgrounds and of various opinions, religions, and skin colours, but our voices were one in song.
Man, it felt good! It was awesome!
Many of the party guests were aware of my troubles at work and they all offered congratulatory hugs and handshakes when they learned of my reinstatement.
"You're lucky," they said. "It had a happy ending. It could have ended much worse for you."
They're right, of course. I shall go to work tomorrow with that thought in mind. I have decided not to be bitter and angry about what happened. I am the only one who'll suffer from it. I'm not yet ready to talk with Nick, though. He has not been reinstated. I do wish him good luck and hope he'll find peace within himself.
Yes, the alarm is set for 4:00 am, Ms J. I really should go to bed, but I'm thinking of my girl tonight. Meagan has come with three friends by bus to the big city where they're attending a music concert at a downtown club. The venue is called Kool Haus. The band is called Rancid. Yup, that's the name. Sounds delightful, doesn't it?
She was a bit nervous about the excursion.
"I've never been to an indoor concert before, Dad. There's going to be, like, thousands of punk rockers and I don't want to get separated from my friends. I've never been in the city without an adult with me. I mean, I'm not scared or anything. I'm just, like, concerned, that's all. Just a bit concerned."
I told Meagan I'd make sure she and her friends get home safely. We made a deal.
"I'll come fetch you downtown, Scout," I told her on the phone yesterday. "I'll drive you guys all the way back to Norval or Georgetown or whatever. That's my commitment to you. All you have to do is promise me you'll be responsible and that you'll phone me as soon as the show is over. Deal?"
"It's a deal, Dad. And thanks for doing this. I mean, I'm glad you got your job back and everything, but you're gonna be tired in the morning aren't you?"
You see, Ms J? You see why I adore that girl?
Yes, I'll be tired in the morning. But I'll know my girl is home, safe in her bed.
Happy endings, Ms J. I've been through some crazy times, but they always seem to have happy endings.
I wonder why I still worry so?
***


4 Comments:
Because you're human.
She's a good girl :o)
Now, about Hansel and Gretel...adult? Does that mean they didn't get put in the oven?
"I have decided not to be bitter and angry about what happened."
Way to go Dale. It is easy and normal to feel bitter and angry but you have made a very good choice.
As for Meagan, this is something else she'll remember forever. Her dad is always there for her.
"I wonder why I still worry so?"
--Because you're a Dad. Since my kids are 17, 19 & 22, I'm frequently finding myself acting nonchalant when they're embarking on new adventures, but inside I'm twisted in knots worrying about them. They need a certain amount of freedom to stretch their wings, but that dosen't mean the rooster isn't pacing the coop.
Post a Comment
<< Home