Just When I Was Having Fun
I'm back to work, Ms J. Well, nearly.
When I got home from my walk with Carolyn yesterday, I found a message on my phone. It was Mr. V., the union boss.
"I spoke with the VP for Eastern Canada and he says he's willing to bring you back to work. Your discipline will be 'time served' but you have to agree that there will be no union grievance on the issue. We can still grieve it if you want, but I imagine they'll hold you out until the matter is settled. It's up to you what you want to do. Call me tomorrow. I'll be in the office at 9:00."
I waited until 10:00 this morning and while I waited, I composed a list of questions to ask Mr. V.
Will I be back on my old job on Monday, then?
Will my work record still show that I suffered a dismissal? I want that expunged.
Will this lapse in employment affect my 2007 vacation allotment?
What about my pension account? Will it now show a deficiency? Who will pay that?
And when can I expect to receive my back pay?
I spoke with V’s secretary.
"Oh he's at a doctor's appointment this morning. He won't be in until 11:00. Shall I have him call you?"
It's never easy, is it?
I'll phone him again later and let you know how things turn out.
I just spoke with Paul V. I listened again while he prattled on about how arrogant and intractable the company is and how the union really can’t do much to change things, and blah blah blah
Whatever.
When I could get a word in, I asked him my questions. His answers were not encouraging. I asked him anyway to take my concerns to the vice president who will decide my fate.
“And tell him I’m disappointed in the way I’ve been treated, Paul. Tell him of course I’d like to be re-instated, but I would like to be assured of the right to an appeal. I feel I’ve been treated unfairly.”
I’m waiting now for him to call me back with the company’s response.
I think I’ll have my lunch.
It’s 3:00 and I’ve just now spoken with Paul. Here’s the deal:
Fourteen day suspension, shown that way on my record. I’ve been off a month and the company agrees to pay me for the first two weeks. Full salary. That means I only lose two weeks pay instead of four. I’ll lose a few days of vacation time next year. And I’ll have to pay my pension deficiency. I’ll go back to work on Monday, hopefully, unless someone neglects to make the required phone calls.
"That's it," said V. "That's their final offer. Take it or leave it. What should I tell them?"
Any way I look at it, Ms J, it still stinks. Even if they agreed to pay me everything they owe me, even if they agreed to pay me EXTRA – it still stinks.
"Tell them OK, Paul. Tell them I accept. And tell them I hope they rot in hell, the pricks."
I despise the company I work for. But I’ll do my best to suck it up for seven more years.
Seven long years.
***


7 Comments:
Good choice -- unfair but good. What else could you really do? Considering the possibilities, I'm glad that it worked out as well as it did. Forget the seven years btw. It's really just today that you have to get through. Pretty soon today will be seven years from now.
All things considered, I'd agree with Anvilcloud. Those seven years will be but a blink, and who knows? A lot could change in those years. I read after your local elections in November that the Mayor of Toronto was twisting the screws to get the Federal government to send more transit money his way. Maybe you could transition to a related job with the city?
Keep your nose clean and your eyes open, you'll do fine.
(Oh, and watch what you type where prying eyes can see.)
I wish I could hear the next sermon you preach.
You have lived a lifetime in the past few weeks.
Judy - Anybody Home
www.judyh58.blogspot.com
Well that's good news, even though you have to give allow for a few concessions. All the best to you, Dale. At least you don't have to get through the Christmas season without employment.
They'll change the rules on you; they did before/already, and it'll happen again. But ain't nuthin' we can do about it.
After 25 years in Israel, I returned to the US a the end of June 2004. 18 year experience as a Linux/Unix computer systems administrator, without a college degree in Computer Science (or any other field).
I was unemployed for the first 51 weeks, then got hired to run the computer system (MacOS) at a nearby private school. I was SO overqualified, and my manager (the owner's son-in-law) never spoke with me, or replied to my email/voicemail messages. I went to work, everyday, expecting it to be my last. Had an auto accident (got rear-ended) end of March, while driving to a meeting at the main campus (work-related, thank G-d!). They fired me, shortly after I brought a Letter of Limitations from the orthopedist (7 burst discs in my lower back and neck).
Now I'm unemployed over 7 more months, with no chance of finding a job -- experience is worthless, without the college degre in Comp Sci.
Just drive the train, Dale. Me? I'll be moving into my car, come end of January. I'll read your blog from a computer at the public library...
Chill-out.
My girl is working at a quick mart and I am glad she has a job at all. It's third shift, the most dangerous and the pay is pitiful. In Michigan it's hard to even find a job, though.
Her mate is working at an oil change place, it's all he can get even though he's a certified auto mechanic. It's a waste of his talent but it pays the bills.
I guess I want to say I know how hard the stress of not knowing what comes next is, I am laid off and don't know if I will be called back or not, but count your blessings, Dale. Let the love hold you up and shine through you.
OK, this is the post that I somehow missed! That still is rather brutal of them but as you say, it could have been worse. At least you have a job, and one that you can retire from in seven years.
Post a Comment
<< Home