A middle-aged WASP examines his Life, his heart and his home. Sometimes it all makes perfect sense. Not lately, though.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Thursday, December 07, 2006

Employment -- Highly Over-rated

It's weird, Ms J. I'm worried about my lack of employment, but at times I'm content to be off. I mean, there's so much socialising to do, isn't there? This morning I attended a church meeting at the home of a friend. We had coffee and cake and discussed the progress of our student minister. (She's amazing, Ms Journal.) After the meeting, I walked home. I arrived just in time to receive a call from Angry Bob.

"Some of the guys are going out to that sandwich shop up on The Queensway. You wanna come for lunch?"

I accepted the invitation.

Bob drove over and picked me up and we met the others at the restaurant. Wally was there. And Bruno. Bruce too. Bruce retired a few months ago, lucky sod. Wally paid for my lunch. Jeff came a bit later with Joe, my union guy. I didn't complain too loudly to Joe about the union's indifference. He knows how I feel. He's frustrated too. The food was good, and the company agreeable. They all shook my hand and slapped my back when we parted after lunch.

"We miss you, Dale."

"Yeah, the guys are talking about you."

"Hope you get back soon, ya homo." (That was Jeff, Ms J. He always talks like that.)

In a minute, I'll phone Carolyn. Remember her, Ms J? We're going to take a stroll outdoors on this blustery afternoon. I could use a bit of exercise. The veal sandwich I had for lunch was MASSIVE! Tomorrow, I'm having lunch with Joan, and on Saturday night, I'm off to a neighbourhood Christmas party. It's not far away so I can walk there and stagger home.

At times I think I'm happy to be off work and dread going back! There are so many opportunities to socialise, I really haven't time to mope. And right now, Ms J, that's a real blessing.

Who knows? Maybe I'll go wild one day and put up some Christmas decorations.

***

5 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I wonder how I ever found time to work. But I didn't blog then.

7 December 2006 at 14:42  
Blogger Michelle said...

"Ya homo"...awwww feel the love :o)
Lordy, all these people, i don't think i know that many!

8 December 2006 at 01:03  
Blogger Donna said...

Lol Dale ... That Christmas spirit is seeping in!! :D

8 December 2006 at 02:35  
Blogger Jennytc said...

So it's windy over there too. Don't send any more over to us please, Dale! I felt as it I was being blown off the dual carriageway on my way home yesterday. :)

8 December 2006 at 03:40  
Blogger PBS said...

Time off from work is always great! It's the lack of time (and energy) that prevents socializing for most people, I think. Glad to hear that there's a bit of good to it all.

8 December 2006 at 06:49  

Post a Comment

<< Home