A middle-aged WASP examines his Life, his heart and his home. Sometimes it all makes perfect sense. Not lately, though.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Tuesday, November 21, 2006

First Thing This Morning

8:52 am

Ring Ring.

"Hello?"

"Hi Dale. It's Kelly. How are you this morning?"

"Fine."

"Oh that's good. I'm getting over a bad cold ... blah blah flu blah Tim blah blah, freaking blah."

"How is David?"

"He's home with me now. Poor little thing. He's doing really well, smiling and kicking his little legs. Thank God I got him back from Children's Aid. I've really been looking after him, blah blah, gave him a bath, blah, warm bottle, blah blah. He's such a happy blah blah and all because of me, blah, me, blah, me me me."

"And what about Daniel?"

"Well, I was blah all day yesterday, with the kids and cleaning up and blah, blah, dinner and blah, really nice meal and blah, blah, and Tim --"

"How's Daniel?"

"The Children's Aid said if we wanted David back, we'd have to blah blah, changes around here because I blah blah and Tim can't blah because of his blah blah, so --"

"Where is Daniel?"

"He's not here."

"Where is he, then?"

"Well, the Children's Aid said Dan had to get out or we couldn't get David back --"

"Where is my son, Kelly?"

"In Brampton. In the hospital. Psych ward."




Sighhhhhhh. Here we are again, Ms J. Good ol' Dan. Back to his old tricks. Threats of suicide, violence. Horrible, hurtful things spoken, words sharpened and hurled like spears. Attempts to injure himself. Police. Doctors. My son is sick. Or stupid. Or lazy. Or frightened. Or all of the above. Or none of the above. And Kelly has had a hand in all of it. All of it.

And you know what?

I just can't help that boy. Anymore. Ever. I don't plan to see him in hospital. I don't want to see him. He's just too much misery and dysfunction to bear right now. It's all beyond my ken.

Good luck, Dan. 'Cause you're sure as hell going to need it.

And Kelly? I cannot allow myself to be drawn into your vortex of hysteria. There's quite enough drama here in Mimico at the moment to satisfy any need I might have.

Tell me something. Did you actually choose your grandson over your son? Is that the choice you made?

I am numb, Ms Journal. And I'm going to be honest with you. A line of speed would feel pretty good right about now.

***

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dale, you skipped one option for Daniel. Option 5: Your son needs a positive role model in his life, one who will stand by him regardless of the mess he has made of his life so far. He is so young and he has so much potential. Help him realize it! Help him cultivate it in himself! Help him help himself! If not for his sake, for your sake and your defenseless grandson's!
Kelly obviously from the way you talk is not capable of helping Daniel (and I fear for the future of Meagan) let both of them know that you are and will continue to be there for them. You have opened your heart and door to friends in the past, how about your own confused and needy children? I know you are going through your own hell with work, in the wise words of the elderly "This too will pass" and you will be surprised by the element of satisfaction that you will receive in knowing that you have done ALL that you can to protect and nurture your children. All the best ...

21 November 2006 at 12:51  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I hope that someone can help Daniel for the sake of David ... and you. If he realy has mental health problems, then he is not responsible in the same way that you and I are -- just as most rest of us are not responsible for the majority of our physical problems. I think it's something that most of us don't get about mental illness -- even the almost-divine Oprah who discussed depression last week but kept applying sane standards to the mentally depressed.

Wow! That's a very long comment for me. Wishing you and yours better times.

PS: If she chose David and it results in Daniel getting help, consider the possibility that she may have done the right thing.

21 November 2006 at 13:45  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Dale.

Keep talking to your friends.

They OWE it to you to listen. To not judge. To help you any way they can. You have been that for them, do not be afraid to let them do that for you.

I hurt for you.

Judy - www.judyh58.blogspot.com

21 November 2006 at 15:39  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Dale: I'm not sure how long anonymous (above) has been reading your blog, but I know you've done your best many times in the past to be there for Daniel in very difficult situations. I do sympathise with your need at the moment to consider your own sanity. I really hope things get better for all of you.

21 November 2006 at 15:40  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Turn away from the Dark Side of the Force, young Jedi.

21 November 2006 at 17:16  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment is for marie ... it doesn't matter how often you have been there for your children in the past. As the parents that have brought them into this world you simply DO NOT give up on them ... no matter what! Love is supposed to be unconditional and forever lasting ... not just when it is convenient or when we have nothing else on our plate. I will say that you can only help someone that wants the help ... and by the love that Daniel shows for his son and his desire to be a father to him ... I think that is Daniels way of asking for help! In closing, I think that given the love that Dale has for his son and daughter HE knows the right thing to do!!!

21 November 2006 at 18:17  
Blogger Terri said...

Try to stay strong Dale. You have more of your share of grief right now and I'm truly sorry you're suffering. There are times when there is nothing left to do but pray. And, as you know, it works. I'm glad David is out of foster care but of course out of the pan and into the fire in some ways. One step at a time and one thing, the only thing I do know is this: God has not forsaken you or your family. I don't know what he has planned but he has not forgotten or abandoned you, that is for sure. Praying for you and your family.

22 November 2006 at 00:36  
Blogger Loner said...

Dale, it seems that dealing wth Kelly will always be such an unpleasant thing, and cannot be fixed. Take some time to pray about this - ask for specifics - ask what part you are to play in helping your kids - and find some peace in all this drama. It looks like a storm in the middle of it - but remember that your Savior calmed the storm, and that He will not abandon you - or your kids. Keeping you, as always, in my prayers.

22 November 2006 at 09:26  
Blogger Donna said...

Just when you think things couldn't get any worse ... Thinking of you Dale xx

22 November 2006 at 10:12  
Blogger Linda said...

I can't say anything except hang in there Dale. You can't do anything for Dan but you can pray for him. He is in God's hands.

22 November 2006 at 10:58  

Post a Comment

<< Home