Today
Thursday.
Day Eight.
Eight days now since the incident at work. And still no word.
Fuckers.
Nick just called. Again. I ignored it. Again.
I went to Canadian Tire yesterday afternoon. I’ve been thinking for months now that I’d like to have a bird feeder in the back yard. I enjoy sitting at the table and watching the birds through the window. So I went to the store and spent $69. on two feeders, a metal crook to hold them and a couple of bags of seed. I assembled it all and filled the feeders. Two pounds of mixed seed in one. The other is a tube for finches. I filled that one with fine Niger seed and hung them both on the metal stake.
This morning, I watched what can only be described as a feeding frenzy, as dozens of sparrows emptied the mixed seed onto the ground where four squirrels and two fat pigeons gobbled up everything they could find. Two pounds of seed, Ms J, gone in less than one day. And I saw no trace of a tiny finch. The Niger seed remains untouched.
I am disappointed. I’d hoped to attract some colourful birds – Cardinals, Blue Jays, and maybe a few Finches. Maybe I’m using the wrong kind of seed. Or maybe the wrong kind of feeder. I’m reluctant to refill it. Let the damn pigeons and squirrels find food elsewhere.
I attended a meeting at the church this morning. I’m on the Lay/Intern Supervisory Team that oversees the progress of our student minister. Her name’s Deb. She’s young and pretty. And of course, very nice.
I sat quietly through most of the meeting, contributing nothing to the conversation. I really didn’t feel like being there. I was clearly not myself and someone asked me what was wrong. I shook my head and said nothing. I was so sad, Ms J. I knew I couldn’t speak without crying. I’m the only man in a group of six women and although I had my head bowed, I could feel their eyes upon me.
“Are you OK, Dale?” asked one.
And that was it. I could bear it no longer and I began to weep. I told them my troubles and they listened. They really listened, Ms J. They offered sympathy and compassion.
Charlotte invited me to stand in the middle of the floor while the women joined hands and surrounded me. I felt supported and loved. I felt accepted and nurtured. Protected, if only for that moment, from any harm that might befall me.
Charlotte prayed for me. How incredibly powerful it felt, Ms Journal, to be the object of prayer.
Thank you, God, for friends who love me.
I wish I could tell Mum and Dad about this, but I don’t want to burden them. They’re concerned about Baby David and about my sister, Helen and her cancer. They have enough to worry about without bearing my cares as well.
All will be well, won't it, Ms J? All will be well. One day.
In His time, on His schedule. His will, not mine.
***


7 Comments:
Oh, Dale, I'm so sorry. I haven't been doing my usual blog round this week so I have only just caught up with all your news. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. I do hope you have positive news soon, on all fronts.
Sometimes "all will be well" is not enough to put your mind at ease. I wish there were some helpful words I could say, but I can think of nothing.
Peace to you.
I can think of nothing to say either.
You and your family are much in my prayers.
Judy - Anybody Home
www.judyh58.blogspot.com
How great to have that kind of love and support when you truly need it. Continued positive thoughts are being sent your way.
Isn't it great to have all of the support, though? Hope it all turns out much better than you fear.
When things are tough like this I think of the line from Sleepless in Seattle where Tom Hanks says he just remembers to breath, then keeps going until he doesn't have to think about breathing anymore. So sorry - you are in my prayers.
As for the birds - be patient - it takes a while for the colorful birds to hear about your feeder - but if you keep it stocked and keep food out - they'll come.
Our hearts go out to Dale.I know where you are coming from,as I was fired from Bell for no good reason,well I broke a small rule.What do they want all yes men!!!!Helen and I are remembering you in prayer.We enjoyed your play a couple of weeks ago.You are a great actor!! You look great with your shaved head(at least 20 yrs younger! If the people at CN can't see what a good man you are,go out and tell someone else.They will most likely realize what you are and hire you.God bless Dale,Helen and Bob,Flesherton,Ont
Post a Comment
<< Home