A middle-aged WASP examines his Life, his heart and his home. Sometimes it all makes perfect sense. Not lately, though.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Happy Birthday To Me

Yes, Ms J, t'was my birthday yesterday. I'm now 31. Err, 41. 45? Sigh ... Ok then, 48. And that's my final offer.

I had a lovely day yesterday. Meagan made me a homemade birthday card and taped it to the computer monitor. That was delightful to see first thing in the morning! She washed all the dishes after each meal - "It's the least I can do, Dad. Just don't expect it every day." She's come to spend the week with me.

One of the women with whom I sit on my afternoon train (her name is Tammy) offered to bring dinner here and cook for me on my birthday. Tammy's really cute, but of course, married. Her husband's name is Adam and Adam can build anything. He's just one of those lucky men who seems to excel at construction/renovation type projects. He is, by trade, an electrician. He offered to help with the deck.

"Me and Adam will help you build your deck, Dale, and I'll cook dinner for us. That will be your birthday present. OK?"

I was, and am, astounded at their generous offer. Of course, I accepted. And so they came, Adam and Tammy, and we worked together on the deck. The phone rang at least a dozen times while we worked and each time it was someone offering birthday wishes. It was nice, but intrusive. Friends are always good, though, aren't they?

Tammy worked right along with us men. She can swing a hammer or saw a board as well as I can, Ms J, probably better. And she cooked us some steak and shrimp on the barbecue. I'd never had shrimp done that way before. It was delicious! I've heard "shrimp on the barbie" is a popular summer treat Down Under. Those Aussies know what's good, don't they?

Meagan fetched the camera and snapped a few pictures.


Mugging for the camera

We worked again after dinner until it was too dark to see and my friends left around 10:00. I was so tired and so sore, Ms J, I felt as though I'd run a marathon.

"We'll be back tomorrow evening, Dale," they said. "We should be able to nearly finish it then."


And this is how it looks this morning.

Environment Canada is predicting temperatures in the low 30's today, and with the high humidity, it will feel more like 38C. I called Tammy at work this morning and suggested we wait until tomorrow to resume work on the deck.

"No problem," she said. "Adam has to work in that heat all day. I'm sure he'll be happy just to come home afterward. We'll see you on Wednesday."

Besides, Ms J, there's an audition I want to attend up in Caledon tonight. The play is called "Tribute". I hope I get the lead role.

***

5 Comments:

Blogger Donna said...

I'm late with the Happy Birthday wishes ... so "Good Luck" with the audition ...

25 July 2006 at 12:05  
Blogger Michelle said...

Break a, hmmm ok we'll forget that. Best of luck with the audition!

I like that lattice work that surrounds the deck at the bottom...very swish!

Of course us Aussies know whats good! Glad you enjoyed the shrimp, they're even better marinated...yumm :o)

25 July 2006 at 20:30  
Blogger PBS said...

That deck is coming along well. Hope you get the lead! Happy Birthday to you!

25 July 2006 at 22:53  
Blogger Unknown said...

Happy Birthday!!

26 July 2006 at 09:26  
Blogger Heather Plett said...

Wow! You really know how to make friends who wield tools! Nice!

All the best with the audition. When is the play? I'll be in your neck of the woods in early October. :-)

26 July 2006 at 09:47  

Post a Comment

<< Home