Plans Laid to Hatch Next Week
I drove straight from work this morning to Home Depot. I ordered the material I'll need to build my deck. They were so helpful, Ms J, so nice and knowledgeable. Not at all like the torpid twit I encountered at RONA.
"Sir, are you sure you want to use 2x6 decking? Unless you plan big parties out there with lots of people dancing, you really don't need 2x6's. You could use 5/4 boards instead."
Slack-jawed, I looked at him and blinked.
"Five quarter?"
"Yeah, it's not quite as thick as a 2x6. It'll do the job just fine and it'll be cheaper."
A stubby, bandaged finger poked away at a computer keyboard for a second.
"About sixty bucks cheaper. That'll pay for the delivery charge."
"Cool!" I said and turned to another man behind the counter. "This fellow just saved me sixty bucks!"
"And I'm gonna save you some more money," he said. "This weekend only, there's 7% off all pressure treated lumber and decking supplies."
The first estimate they gave me was nearly $1500. This time, it's down to $1300 plus tax. If only every shopping excursion were as satisfying.
The lumber and building materials will be delivered on Tuesday between 9:00 and 3:00.
No more procrastination, Ms Journal. No excuses. I'm off now to tear down an old wooden fence to make room for my lovely new deck! I sure hope Wally and Angry Bob keep their word and help me until the job's done.
***

2 Comments:
That sounds like quite a deal! It will be great to have a deck, hope it comes together quickly.
That's it! I'm taking you shopping with me!
Post a Comment
<< Home