A middle-aged WASP examines his Life, his heart and his home. Sometimes it all makes perfect sense. Not lately, though.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Sloggin'. No Time For Bloggin'.

I've been busy, Ms J. Back yard busy. I've got my vegetable garden planted, finally. I've got a few herbs and some parsley. And this year, I'm trying to grow Brussells Sprouts. I bought four tomato plants from a local nursery and the next day, Christine gave me eight more. She got them from her cousin, Vicki, who grows vegetables for a living in Prince Edward County. I put a couple of the plants in my garden and gave the rest away to my neighbours. I should call Campbell's Soup to see if they'll need any tomatoes later this summer!

I'm planning to start building my deck next week and so I've been preparing the site. I've removed a lot of large stones, some as big as my head, and leveled the ground as much as possible. Bob was here today and he helped me fetch twelve bags of crushed limestone to help carry rainwater away from the outside wall of the house. The bags weigh over thirty kilos (70 lbs.) each, Ms J. I was grateful for Bob's help. Once the deck is built, it will be very difficult to make repairs if the foundation ever leaks. The basement has never been wet, but the crushed stone grading will add a little insurance against that possibility.

I got two estimates for materials. Home Depot and RONA. Home Depot stores are big, popular, ubiquitous ... and American. RONA is a Canadian company. I'm a good Canadian and I planned to buy my lumber and building materials from RONA. That is, until I got their estimate. Home Depot estimated $1473. for materials to build my deck. RONA would charge $2435. to build the same deck. A thousand dollars more??!

As I said, I'm a loyal Canadian. But for $1000., I guess I'll support the Yanks. First though, I plan to talk with someone at RONA to find out why they're so much more expensive and to ask if they can meet Home Depot's price. I'd really rather shop Canadian.

But a thousand bucks ... Sheesh!!

***

3 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

That price difference is crazy. There must be something wrong with one of the quotes.

13 June 2006 at 17:31  
Blogger PBS said...

That is a weird (and large) difference. Maybe one quote is omitting something? I can't wait to resume gardening! Bought a house and move in two weeks!

14 June 2006 at 09:24  
Blogger Heather Plett said...

It sounds like when we got 2 quotes for renovating our bathroom - one was more than twice the other!

Yeah, I'd go back to Rona and see what they can do for you.

14 June 2006 at 09:28  

Post a Comment

<< Home