A middle-aged WASP examines his Life, his heart and his home. Sometimes it all makes perfect sense. Not lately, though.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Thursday, June 01, 2006

The Right Choice

"Can you post some more flyers in your neighbourhood?" asked Heather after rehearsal last night. "And drop some flyers off at local shops?"

"Sure!" I said. "I can do that. No problem."

But today, I had so much to do that I was forced to weigh priorities and select only those tasks I deemed most important.

The flyers will have to wait. I didn't wrap the gift I got for Meagan's birthday yet either. And the lawn didn't get cut, the house didn't get cleaned, the laundry wasn't done and I didn't make it to the bank or to the grocery store. I didn't phone Mum either. Or Larry. Or Mike. Or Girl Alex. My tomatoes aren't planted. I opted not to have breakfast. And I still haven't had lunch.

I chose sleep, Ms J. I made a conscious decision to become unconscious. Sleep was what I needed most this morning, so sleep is the gift I gave myself. Sweet slumber, uninterrupted. I crawled back into my bed at 9:30 and slept soundly until after 1:00.

I've been up every morning this week at 3:45 and it's been 11:00 pm when I finally returned my head to the pillow each night. There's another rehearsal planned for tonight. And tomorrow, I'm taking the day off work to go to the zoo with Meagan. We've made the trip on her birthday every year since she was a little girl.

Sleep, Ms Journal. It was definitely the right choice.

***

2 Comments:

Blogger PBS said...

You made the right choice! Sleep is very important!

1 June 2006 at 16:54  
Blogger Jennytc said...

All those things you didn't do make me tired just reading them, Dale! Hope you felt a lot more refreshed after your snooze. :)

3 June 2006 at 05:48  

Post a Comment

<< Home