Oh-oh!
I'm in trouble at work, Ms J.
I took the afternoon off to take Meagan to the zoo on her birthday and I took the next Friday afternoon off to perform the play. I booked rest. Now, I'm in trouble. Sort of. Let me explain.
At the end of each shift, train and yard employees are allowed to "book rest" - six hours minimum and twenty-four maximum - effectively making him/her unavailable for duty until the expiration of his/her rest. This right was negotiated in a collective agreement a hundred years ago and it's been maintained in every contract since then. The idea behind it was to allow employees to be sufficiently rested before returning to work in what was then a very hazardous environment. Back then, steam engines and a lack of modern technology often made for trips in excess of twelve hours.
It could be argued that the right to book rest in commuter train service is arcane, and can severely restrict the company's ability to effectively utilise their workforce. Yes, it could be argued. But at present, the right to book rest still comprises part of our union agreement. We still have the contractual right to book rest. But as I've written before, this new American regime at CN has shown no regard for contracts or agreements of any kind. They rule with all the arrogance one would expect of a global Superpower.
Tomorrow, I am required to attend "an investigation to provide a formal employee statement in connection with" my "alleged failure to protect" my "assignment by way of booking rest on 05/05, 05/19, 06/02" (that was Meagan's birthday), "06/09 and 06/16."
I've just spoken with Joe, my union steward, and he advised me to call the crew office tonight when I finish work and tell them I'm required to attend an investigation. They'll book me off "on company business." For the whole day tomorrow. And I'll get paid. For the whole day.
So here's my summation:
The company, under the new "American style of management" claims to be upset about a (non-existent) manpower shortage. Despite the fact that a contract exists clearly giving us the right to book rest, the company is now ordering investigations and disciplining employees who exercise this right. They claim there's a manpower shortage, so to address the issue, they've ordered me to attend a meeting tomorrow instead of allowing me to do my job. I'll miss the entire day of work and the company will pay me my full wages. The union steward, who is an engineer like me, will also be paid as though he'd gone to work on a train. And furthermore, a third and fourth employee will be called from an emergency list to man the trains that Joe and I would have operated.
That's really clever, isn't it, Ms J? That's really efficient, really productive.
And all this is done for no other reason but to intimidate, harass and frighten employees.
Our CEO, E. Hunter Harrison, and his band of bullies have absolutely nothing to gain from this. Not only is it un-productive, it's counter-productive. Will this make me a better employee? Will I be more apt now to observe company policy? No. I'll only be more bitter, angrier, more intent on shoving it up Harrison's arse and breaking it off.
Fuck you, you arrogant prick! I'm taking tomorrow off. All day. And you'll have to pay me for it. Aren't you a clever businessman??
***
NB: I've been critical of American management tactics here before. And I will continue to state my opinion as is my right. Let the record show, however, that I do not dislike Americans. I have friends and relatives south of the border and they've always been very nice.

4 Comments:
You are right - it is assinine. I would probably use a pseudonym for your boss, though. Some american companies fire folks for crticizing their workplace online - especially if they use real names.
Thankgod for unions :o)
American companies do not make good employers. My dad's company was taken over by one and he and a lot of others were gradually made redundant. He's never forgiven them for that.
Okay, am I missing something?
You "booked rest" for pleasure. Why didn't you use a vacation day?
In reading what you said to the investigators - you essentially lied.
Sorry, but unions do nothing but promote laziness and fraud.
Post a Comment
<< Home