A middle-aged WASP examines his Life, his heart and his home. Sometimes it all makes perfect sense. Not lately, though.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Monday, March 27, 2006

Tears For Fears ...

For Nothing.

I went to visit Dan and Maxine yesterday afternoon. I went to see their new baby. I didn't really want to, Ms J. I knew Kelly would be there. And Tim. And little Emily. And most probably Scott, the stepfather who won't go away. I was afraid I'd have to see them all and I wasn't sure I'd be able to behave appropriately. I was afraid my insecurities around Scott (and his continued relationship with my kids) would get in the way. I was fearful that Kelly would push my buttons and I'd get angry and spoil the afternoon for Dan. And I was still clinging to old fears for the welfare of the infant child and still worried about the parenting abilities of Dan and Maxine.

I went to church in the morning to get my mind and my heart right. Linda preached about our inability to see the big picture and cautioned us against getting impatient and doubting God's long term plan for us. She spoke to my heart. When it was prayer time, I asked her to thank God for the safe arrival of my grandson and to ask Him to help me to be a good grandad. It left me with wet cheeks.

Some of my church friends know of my struggles to accept this new Life and many of them approached me after the service to offer hugs and congratulations. I wiped away more tears. I don't know if they were sad tears or frightened tears, Ms J. Or tears of joy. I was pretty emotional.

I drove to Milton and spent the hour in the car rehearsing my lines.

If she says .... Why, I'll just say ...
If he mentions ... I'll tell him ...

It was all so unnecessary. Kelly wasn't at the hospital. None of them were. I spent an hour and a half there with my son and his girlfriend and their new little boy. I had them all to myself, Ms J. It was such a nice visit! Maxine is happy and healthy. She's sore of course, and terribly fatigued. Dan is proud. He seemed calm and confident. He is quite at peace, Ms Journal. That's something I haven't seen in my son since he was a small child. Maxine has kept him away from drugs. A child has given him confidence and self-worth. How can this be a bad thing?


David Robert. Less than one day old.

Soon visiting hours were over and Dan walked me out to the parking lot. We stood together in the afternoon sun and grinned at each other. I told him I loved him. I said I was proud of him. I offered congratulations. And before I left him, I offered some advice.

"My dad told me something the day you were born, Dan. A bit of advice. I've never forgotten it. Would you like to hear it?"

"Sure, Dad. What is it?"

"Hold the boy's hand."

"I do that already, Dad. I sit beside David and take his little --"

I shook my head.

"No, Dan. Listen. Grandad told me to 'hold the boy's hand' and when I asked him why, this is what he said."

Dan furrowed his brow and cocked his head. The wind blew a strand of long hair across his eyes and he hooked it with his thumb and secured it behind his ear. I continued.

"'Hold the boy's hand', he said. Hold it every chance you get. One day you'll reach down for it, and he'll jerk it away. When that day comes,' he said, 'and it surely will, it'll break your heart. So you take that boy's hand and you hold it just as often as you can.'"

Dan's focus was intense. His gaze was soft and his clear eyes were the colour of summer's heaven.

"Honestly, Dad? Is that what he told you?"

"That's what he told me, son. That's all the advice he gave."

"Did you take it?" he asked me.

"I sure did. It was the wisdom of my father. He gave it to me, now I'm passing it on to you. Hold the boy's hand, Dan. Hold his hand and don't ever let go."

I watched my son's eyes fill with tears and before they could spill down his cheeks, he took me in his arms and held me.

"I love you, Dad."

"I love you too, Dan."

He was still standing there, wiping his eyes and blowing tobacco smoke as I drove away. He waved and I honked the horn.


Father and son. Dan's so proud, Ms J.

On the way home, I was wondering what I should do now. What is my role as grandfather? What is my job description? A thought occurred to me. I love when that happens, Ms J. I love when thoughts occur to me.

My job now is simply this: To love. To love baby David as I have loved his father. To love him as my father loves me. The circle of Love, Ms Journal. The circle of Life. There's no clearcut beginning, and so far no dead ends.

A new chapter has begun. And my heart is free.

***

18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations Dale. Your words have moved me to tears - you are a very special man indeed and the words of wisdom from your father have touched me most sincerely. Enjoy your grandson Dale.

27 March 2006 at 07:44  
Blogger PBS said...

Awww, such adorable photos. And a happy ending too! Congratulations!

27 March 2006 at 08:56  
Blogger Heather Plett said...

What a beautiful post, Dale. Did you think, several months ago, when you wrote those painful posts and thought you'd never come to terms with this baby's arrival, that you could feel so peaceful when he arrived? I'm glad you've reached this place in your journey. I'm glad you're ready to shower this baby with love. He's going to need alot.

27 March 2006 at 09:47  
Blogger Cuppa said...

Your post has me in tears today too. Enjoy the new roll "grandpa" and keep that circle of love going round and round and round.

27 March 2006 at 10:10  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

... dabbing at my eyes.

27 March 2006 at 10:31  
Blogger Loner said...

Apparently the tearing up was contagious! Thanks for sharing this - it was beautiful. And at that one very important day- you said exactly the right things to your son - what a blessing that will be for him.

27 March 2006 at 11:15  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am sooo happy for you and your expanded family Dale. I too was choked up. Congratulations for so many reasons!!! Isn't it good Dale?

27 March 2006 at 11:58  
Blogger Kris said...

I have already offerred my Congrats but CONGRATULATIONS! Your grandson is ADORABLE. AND, you moved me to tears with this post. Keep smiling!

K>

27 March 2006 at 12:29  
Blogger Zulu said...

So sweet. I am happy for all of you.

27 March 2006 at 20:19  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The best thing about being a grandparent (which has come to me from my mother) is that you can spoil the grandkids without guilt. Spoil them with all the love in your heart and not neccessarily with things. But I think you know that already.

Congratulations to you all!!

27 March 2006 at 21:19  
Blogger Michelle said...

*sniff*, you naughty boy, you made my mascara run! Congratulations!!! And, congrats to Dan and Maxine, so glad everything went well and mum and baby are healthy :)

27 March 2006 at 21:25  
Blogger Matthew May said...

My job now is simply this: To love. What a wonderful Job!

Congrats Dale, such a beautiful baby!

28 March 2006 at 09:58  
Blogger Jennytc said...

What an adorable baby and lovely photos. Congratulations to all. Hopefully this will be a new stage in Dan's life - a chance to grow and mature.

28 March 2006 at 10:09  
Blogger Sarah said...

Congratulations Dale. :D

28 March 2006 at 15:04  
Blogger magz said...

Muh-WHAA! Here's yer giant hug Gramps, it's a drive-by rooting!

(I knew... it'd be fine my dear. Welcome back to ALL yer heart)

manymany xxx's n ooo's, with much love
maggie

28 March 2006 at 17:43  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have no doubt in my mind that you will be the best Grandfather to David. Just be you and the rest will fall into place.
I love you Daley
Love Sherri

28 March 2006 at 23:03  
Blogger Zette said...

Congratulations on the arrival of baby David. He is so gorgeous and Dan's pride is crystal clear. You have such a knack for putting down your words so eloquently. I'm sitting here in tears...tears of joy for all of you. Good wishes are sent to Dan, Maxine and their beautiful baby boy!

29 March 2006 at 02:20  
Blogger Linda said...

Congratulations Grandpa! Your post brought tears to my eyes. Your job is to be a loving, caring, engaged grandfather. It seems to me that in this day and age, it is often the grandparents who are the only people who remain constant in the lives of children. David will always know that you are there for him.

5 April 2006 at 17:57  

Post a Comment

<< Home