A middle-aged WASP examines his Life, his heart and his home. Sometimes it all makes perfect sense. Not lately, though.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Thursday, March 16, 2006

Two For the Price of One

Meagan brought a friend with her. Sarah. She seems like a nice girl. Polite. Respectful. I'm glad to finally meet one of Meagan's friends, but still I must admit to feeling a bit left out. I knew it would happen, Ms J. Teens prefer their own kind. I did too, when I was her age. We went out for lunch yesterday in Georgetown and then I brought them back here to Mimico. They spent the entire day sitting together at the computer and chatting on msn. The entire day. And a portion of today already.

I left the two of them to go to bed at 10:00 last night. They were on the internet, typing away madly and giggling. The music (I use the term quite loosely, Ms J) that they were playing was reduced to an acceptable level. I closed my bedroom door, but still I could not sleep. It was odd to hear noises in the house at night. I'm used to living alone. When I turn the lights off and climb into bed, I normally hear nothing but my own breathing. I listened to the sounds for about half an hour before I got up and found a pair of earplugs. I wear them at work, Ms Journal, on the engine. It must have been close to 11:00 when I fell asleep.

I didn't sleep soundly, though. I guess I was worried about the two of them and wondering who they might find to chat with late at night. I remembered Dan's wild adventures at my computer a year ago.

I was wide awake again at 4:00, so I decided to get out of bed. The alarm would sound in fifteen minutes anyway, so I switched it off, turned on the light and put my feet on the wooden floor. For a minute or two, I sat with my eyes closed on the edge of the bed and listened to the night. I was aware of a faint sound and remembered I was still wearing earplugs. I took them out and the sound was louder.

Tap tap tappetty-tap-tap.

Were the girls still awake? Still on the computer? Crikey! It was 4:00 a.m.!! I put my bathrobe on and opened my bedroom door and looked down the hall. Meagan was sitting alone at the computer, eerily lit in the dull blue glare of the monitor. She was startled.

"Holy crap, Dad! You scared me half to death! What are you doing?"

I told her I was getting ready for work and suggested she might like to go to bed.

"It's four o'clock in the morning, Scout. Where's Sarah?"

"She went to bed already. Sorry, Dad. I didn't realise it was so late."

Mmmm-hmmm.

"Do you want to use the washroom before I have a shower?"

"No. I'm good. Have fun at work, Dad."

She was in bed when I finished my shower. I wished I had told her good night.

I asked the girls after dinner, if they'd like to visit the mall today. Sarah was "up" for it. Meagan, I think, would be content to stay here. I said I'd give them some money if they wanted to go, but I can't imagine they'll get out of bed in the forenoon.

We shall see, Ms J. We shall see.

Incidentally, I overheard Sarah whispering to Meagan last night.

"Your dad is so cool! My dad is always yelling at me and grounding me for no reason. I wish we could trade dads for a while."

I smiled, Ms J because I know the Truth. It's easy to be a "cool" dad when your daughter only visits once in a while. I suspect I'd lose a great deal of coolness if I were a fulltime dad.

***

3 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I don't miss the teenage years too very much. They're more fun when they're younger and more human when they're older.

16 March 2006 at 15:28  
Blogger Michelle said...

I'm with Jenn, i'm going to be the queen of un cool when "A" starts hounding to use these chat programs. You'll hear her whining from Mimico!!

17 March 2006 at 18:23  
Blogger Zette said...

My boys told me last summer that I was a cool mom, but I couldn't help but think the same as you. If they lived here full time and had to see me thru my "moods" they might think differently. It's not easy to be a part time parent to two growing teenage boys, but I try to keep an open line of communication between us so that my "coolness" may result in something positive in their futures.

So glad you were able to have Meagan over for a visit. I'm sorry I've been so absent lately, but between work and home, I just haven't had the time or energy to write anything. For the first time in my life, I can see positive effects of my hard work and if feels wonderful. I, amazingly enough even for me, was able to book and pay for two plane tickets with less than 24 hours notice, just so my boys could visit for a few days last week!!! It felt so incredible! Anyhow, I hope to post something in the next few days.

Big hugs,
~Zette~

21 March 2006 at 03:33  

Post a Comment

<< Home