Now What?
I got a copy of Meagan's report card today. I've been worried about it for weeks now. Remember, Ms J? I went to visit the principal and Meagan's teacher back in January and Meagan got angry and stopped talking to me. I learned that my daughter had missed a lot of school and I assumed her report card would be disappointing. But surprise! It wasn't too bad at all, really. Her marks aren't brilliant, but she's passing all her subjects. I am shocked to learn that she's missed nineteen and a half days this term. That's nearly a whole month of classes!
Dan was her age when he began to fall through the cracks at school. He didn't understand grade seven work, but the school promoted him to grade eight. Things worstened there for my boy. In a process called "streaming", the school board pushed him on to high school. He failed all his subjects in grade nine and completely lost interest in everything but drugs. He found a real attraction to drugs.
I don't want this for Meagan. She's doing OK according to her report card, Ms J, but I don't feel I can trust the school. Is Meagan truly and honestly learning the curriculum, or is she just being "streamed" to make the board look good?
I plan to phone her this weekend and invite her to visit me for a few days during March break. This silent treatment has gone on long enough. Should I mention the fact that I have obtained a copy of her report card (despite her wishes to the contrary) and inform her that I will continue to monitor her progress at school? Or should I simply continue to monitor her, but say nothing? Should I contact the school again and ask for proof that Meagan is worthy of promotion to high school?
I'm relieved to see her report card, Ms J, but I'm just not sure I can trust that it's accurate.
***

2 Comments:
Hmm, ok, well can you remember back to when Dan was in that grade, you mentioned they pushed him up to the next grade....was his report card bad....i mean worse the Meagans is now? I guess what i am getting at is did they push Dan up with a poor report card OR did they bullshit you and give him an average report and put him up knowing he'd never cope?
See, there's a difference.
If the school is telling the truth, and Meagan is doing average, perhaps when you see Meagan you could tell her how impressed you are with her school work and just imagine how well she could have done if she'd attended those other days. You could even offer a small incentive.....ie.if she only misses say one or 2 days next term, you could buy her a favorite cd or something. Or if she does better than average...some thing special.
Just a thought sausage, have a top weekend!
Michelle has some good advice! Report card often don't accurately represent what the student is really learning!
Post a Comment
<< Home