A middle-aged WASP examines his Life, his heart and his home. Sometimes it all makes perfect sense. Not lately, though.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Friday, March 03, 2006

World Day of Prayer

Today is "World Day of Prayer", Ms J. World Day of Prayer is an international, ecumenical, prayer movement initiated and carried out by women in more than 180 countries and in over 1000 languages. Christians of many traditions and all ages - women, men and children, - celebrate a common day of prayer on the first Friday in March. God's inbox must surely be full!

This year's WDP service was written by women in South Africa and held here in Mimico at the Catholic church - St. Leo's. I had never before observed World Day of Prayer, but Rev. Linda mentioned it last Sunday and said it was going to be at St. Leo's. I decided then to go because I'd never been inside a Catholic church before, either. Why not kill two birds with one stone, I figured.

I am so glad I went. It was at 1:30 this afternoon and I enjoyed the ten minute walk in the bright sunshine. The church was by no means full, but there were, I suppose, about a hundred in attendance. We listened to Scripture readings and reflections on South African issues: HIV/AIDS, poverty, and homelessness. We sang some really beautiful hymns, too. I felt welcome. Those Catholics are soooo nice. I'm reminded of a story Dad told me once.

"When I was in the army, I heard about a guy in our outfit who was a Catholic, so I made a point of meeting him. I remember thinking, 'Holy shit! He looks just like me!'"

Dad was eighteen at the time and fresh off the farm.

I have Catholic friends and neighbours, but none who are practicing Catholics. None who attend church regularly. I had never set foot in a Catholic church before. But I wouldn't hesitate to return. The sanctuary was lovely. The sun lit the stained glass windows and made them radiant. There was a cross at the front, but it wasn't plain and empty like the one in our United Church. This one had Jesus on it. His arms were open as though He wanted to hug me. There were depictions of Mary as well, with her halo. Joseph had one too. Different. But comforting, somehow.

We prayed for an end to war and strife in Africa, for the welfare of orphans of AIDS and for an end to hunger and disease. We prayed for an end to war in the Middle East. I prayed for my kids, Dan and Meagan, that they might grow to be healthy, happy adults. And I prayed for Maxine and for her unborn baby.

The service lasted about an hour or so, Ms J, and although I'm a Protestant, there's no doubt I felt the presence of God in that church this afternoon. I sensed a connection to each of the people in the pews around me and I left the church with a happy heart. I'm glad I went. I feel now as though I'm a part of something much bigger than the tiny congregation at Wesley Mimico United Church. I'm a Christian.

I really don't know for sure if our prayers today (individually or collectively) helped, or will help solve the world's problems, Ms Journal. But I know they can't hurt.

***

1 Comments:

Blogger Heather Plett said...

Yeah, Catholics are pretty nice - at least the one I married :-)

5 March 2006 at 18:43  

Post a Comment

<< Home