Bad Things Good Things
Big things. Little things. Perspectives, Ms Journal. This morning, I'm thinking of some recent events in my Life. I've labeled them all "good" or "bad" and filed each one accordingly.
Stress at work -- Bad
Dan's situation -- Bad
The possibility of a relationship with Jacqueline -- Good
Meagan's recent visit -- Good
Her newly pierced nose -- Bad
Having to share a planet with my ex -- Bad
It's as if I have but two folders in my file cabinet: One for the "good" and one for the "bad".
But Life is not quite so easily categorised, is it, Ms J? Just when you think you've got things all put in place, something else arrives to disturb the peace. And you scramble to try to reorganize things.
My sister has breast cancer.
Mum called last night with the news. She spoke at length about the lump and about it being diagnosed malignant and fast-growing. She told me doctors are planning surgery sooner rather than later. She told me about how she and Helen have cried together. I listened numbly to her voice, Ms J. My heart could not accept her words.
"Are you still there?" asked Mum when she heard my silence.
What was I to say, Ms Journal? What kind of response is appropriate? What words will offer relief? Helen is fifty-two. Divorced. The devoted mother of three incredible teens. She's vibrant. Intelligent. Generous. Compassionate. Caring. A nurse, by profession.
Why her, Lord? Why anyone? Is there a family anywhere who haven't been affected by cancer? Is there anyone left who hasn't been scarred in some way by its jagged claws? Helen is the second of my sisters to suffer this affliction. A younger sister survived it a few years ago. She has since had two gorgeous children. Jill beat it. Helen will too.
I've reorganised my files, Ms J. Again. The "good" folder is fat and bulging. There is just one file now in the "bad" folder.
Let us put our hearts together. Let us think of Helen. Let us offer our prayers and our good wishes. Collectively, let us send forth our White Light of Healing. Life is strange sometimes, you know. In my experience, often what at first appears malevolent, later turns out to be a blessing.
My prayer is that our "good" folders will swell ever fatter while our "bad" folders shrink to lie flat and empty.
I love you, Helen.
***


6 Comments:
Hi Dale ... I don't really know what to say, but just wanted to let you know that I'm thinking positive thoughts for Helen and feeling very sad for you about hearing that news.
Donna x
I agree that we can sometimes build beautiful things on the foundation of things that are not good in and of themselves.
So sorry Dale. My prayers for Helen.
So sorry about your sister, Dale. I will remember her. But I'm please you had such a good visit from Meagan. By the way, I'm back on my old Blogger blog now. See you there.
Hi Dale,
Sad news, to be sure, but what an opportuntiy to love!
And those "bad" folders? You've been able to be a city on a hill to your co-workers - GOOD. That you've GOT a son and you do love each other - GOOD. The pierced nose - well, could be worse, eh? That your ex IS your EX - GOOD. Your love and caring being a conduit of God's love and caring to your sister - REALLY GOOD. (See Jeremiah 29:11)
Sending all the White Light of Light of Healing I can.
Post a Comment
<< Home