A middle-aged WASP examines his Life, his heart and his home. Sometimes it all makes perfect sense. Not lately, though.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Thursday, March 09, 2006

Another Change of Plans

Well, I had to work with my boss this afternoon, Ms J. The BIG boss. He's the Senior Manager at the train yard where I work. He's new. He's full of himself, high on his authority, and busy changing things. He's despised. His name is John. Guess what his last name is? Just guess. Think "despised", Ms Journal. Think "corpse". Got it? Yup. Coincidence? Probably not. My lesson is to learn tolerance and acceptance of ... well, of Kelly.

He and I had words, Ms J. Strong words. Abusive words. I talked. Shouted, actually. Hollered my indignation. He pretended not to know why I was upset, why we're all upset. Power-tripper. Idiot. I drove home just now pumped and primed for a great, big rant against this moron, and against Canadian National Railways and their new official executive direction:

"COMPLIANCE."

I was ready to sit with a glass of wine and write about "abuse of power" and "the use of fear as a tool to enforce 'compliance'." I had planned to employ hackneyed expressions like "more flies with honey ..." and "be careful what you ask for .."

Et cetera.

I parked the car in the driveway and stomped up the steps to the front door, and there, in the mailbox, was a large manila envelope. Unaddressed. I snatched it from the metal box and carried it inside.

The envelope contained a cute little pen topped with a bunny that lights up when you write, a small journal type book with metal cover, and a card. The card was the best bit.


Friends are thinking of me.

I belong to a study group at church. Bible study, I suppose you could call it, although we've recently been studying Marcus Borg's book - "The Heart of Christianity". The group meet on Tuesdays. Another group meet on Wednesdays. I'm disappointed that my play writing group meet on the same two evenings, so I can't be with my church friends during the week. I miss them. Evidently, they miss me too. The card was signed by all eight members of my Wednesday group.

Dear Dale, missed you at bible study. Gert

We miss you ... but do you know you're missing chocolate chip cookies? Dolly

Dale, Hope you find this pen as illuminating as the group. We miss you. Charlotte

All the best with your play. We miss you at Bible Study. Karen

Dale, Just remember 'The play's the thing.' Larry

Missing you and your creativity. Bob

We miss you, Dale. I hope you are having fun! (Isn't it good?) Carla

Sure miss you Dale and all your witty remarks. Love Patricia


Patricia reminded me of the homework for this week: Write five things every morning and five things every evening for which you're thankful.




1. Friends
2. Faith
3. Family
4. Home
5. Gainful employment

Tomorrow morning, I will seek out the man to whom I was disrespectful and abrasive. I will offer him a humble apology. Although my opinion of him will remain unchanged, as will my opinion of CN's soul-sucking policy of enforced employee compliance, at least there will be one less arsehole at work.

Good night, Ms J.

***

4 Comments:

Blogger Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

Maybe someone needed to say the things you said to the stuffy shirt today, an apology for doing it in such an enthusiastic manner is not out of order...

What I think is great is how that little reminder changed your perspective.

That's the key.

9 March 2006 at 21:56  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I was just thinking that he might actually have gotten off on your emotion. Maybe a more mellow you will deprive him of his jollies.

10 March 2006 at 00:14  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh I know about the 'abuse of power' thing believe me :)

Hmmm maybe he is just 'getting off' on the emotion as anvilcloud said, but I'm not sure an apology is necessary.

He is probably your 'hard nosed' exec type and he will probably be sleeping quite happily at night even though he is causing so much friction in the workplace.

Apologising to him might give him the wrong idea that everything is in fact fine.

If you do apologise (which im still not sure is necessary), I would 'define' what you are apologising for (emotion) and not for what you said (which probably needed to be said).

Thats my 2c (or pence) :)

Cool blog :)

10 March 2006 at 03:31  
Blogger Loner said...

Some days it is just good to know that we don't contribute to the problem - there is definitely one less arsehole at work!

10 March 2006 at 15:51  

Post a Comment

<< Home