A middle-aged WASP examines his Life, his heart and his home. Sometimes it all makes perfect sense. Not lately, though.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Saturday, December 03, 2005

Dealing With "The System"

I finally spoke with Meagan's principal yesterday. The principal is the head of the school and the lady's name is Carol. She seemed very nice. However, it was clear to me that she was bound by school policy, or more probably by law, to make it difficult for me to monitor my daughter's progress in school.

"Yes, I understand your concern, Mr. Pringle, but --"

"Call me Dale."

"I understand your concern, Dale, but I have to follow board policy in this type of situation."

"OK, well I'm not even sure at this point if my daughter is even enrolled in your school. Do you have a new student there? Her name is Meagan. She's just moved from Acton. Her lip is --"

"I'm sorry Mr. ... I'm sorry, Dale, but I'm not allowed to give out that information."

"But I'm the girl's father, for goodness sake!"

"Yes, but how am I to know that for certain? How am I to know if you have the legal right to see her?"

"I've had the legal right to see her every second weekend for the past ten years."

"Do you have a copy of the separation agreement or decree of divorce?"

"I pay child support. I have a support order. I can show you that if you want. Jeez, I didn't think this would be such an ordeal. She's my daughter. Don't I have the right to follow her progress at school?"

I was beginning to feel a bit indignant, Ms J, and to be honest, a little guilty. Why had I waited until now to start this process? Why didn't I get involved earlier? Maybe if I'd paid more attention to Dan ...

"Yes, of course you do," Carol was saying, "but not until the school is satisfied that you can legally see your daughter. Our primary concern is for the safety of our students."

I've told Kelly I plan to visit Meagan's teachers. I'm sure she'll pass that message along to Scout. On Monday, I'll phone the school again and hopefully, arrange to meet with the principal and/or Meagan's teachers. I care about her education. I want Meagan to know it, and I want the school to know it.

***

5 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Red tape is very frustrating indeed, but you've chosen the right path. Good luck!

3 December 2005 at 13:43  
Blogger Jennytc said...

It is frustrating for you, Dale, but unfortunately, these days, the school has to be very strict about sticking to the rules. Once they know you are genuinely who you say you are, there should be no problem. You should be able to request that copies of Megan's reports etc are sent to you too. That's how it works here anyway.

3 December 2005 at 14:57  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoo! Welcome to bureaucracy!

Well, at least it's good to know that Meagan is somewhere that they take safety very seriously.

Hang in there. It looks like you're on the right path.

4 December 2005 at 00:04  
Blogger Zette said...

You'll get it all settled out soon and then you shouldn't have any further problems with the school. Hopefully Kelly isn't going to stir up anything by you doing this. I've been there, done that and it can get ugly. You absolutely have the right to look after your child, and I'm glad you are doing this.

BTW....I could swear I posted a comment a few days ago when you first mentioned this, but I don't think it went thru (I didn't see it yesterday, anyhow).

4 December 2005 at 04:26  
Blogger Paul said...

Hang in there, Dale, and beat the system.

5 December 2005 at 23:31  

Post a Comment

<< Home