A middle-aged WASP examines his Life, his heart and his home. Sometimes it all makes perfect sense. Not lately, though.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Good News This Time

I called Pat last night. I told him I planned to come out to his place tonight to clean our guns. Pat’s my brother. I helped him begin construction on his gazebo up north two weeks ago. I’ve been caught up in other things lately and I …

What, Ms J? Guns? Yes, that’s what I said. Yes, we have guns. Small calibre rifles we have used in the past for hunting small game. Groundhogs, specifically. Some call them woodchucks. Farmers call them a dreadful nuisance.

Groundhogs live in burrows in hay fields. Sometimes, a cow or horse will step into the hole, breaking a leg. Often, the mound of dirt left from the groundhog’s excavation damages farm machinery. The farmer is unable to see the mound in a tall crop of hay or grain. So Pat and I have made annual trips to a friend’s farm to hunt and kill these pests. Dad used to take us when we were kids. He taught us how to shoot and he taught us gun safety.

“Don’t ever point a gun at anything you don’t want to shoot,” he’d tell us.

And “Guns are tools, like hammers and screwdrivers. They’re designed to do a job and they do it well. Guns are designed to injure and kill. A gun will kill a human just as easily as it kills a poor groundhog.”

And so we hunted, Ms Journal. We hunted with Dad until his legs grew old and tired. I remember the first time I asked Dad to come with us and he refused.

“Why not, Dad?” I asked and his answer made me sad.

“I can’t take all that walking anymore. It’s just too much for me.”

That was the first hint that my father was growing old. Old, Ms J. I still remember that day. Dad looked a little embarrassed. And we never spoke of it afterwards.

Anyway, what was I on about before I dashed off a tangent? My brother. That’s right. I left him a phone message that I’d like to pop over tonight to clean our rifles and put them away for the winter. Today, his wife called me to say I was welcome to come. Linda and I had a brief conversation.

“I saw your ex in town yesterday.”

“Did you?” I said. “Where’d you see her?”

“In Georgetown,” said Linda. “At Tim Horton’s.”

“Tim Horton’s”, Ms J, is the name of a chain of coffee shops. There’s at least one Tim Horton’s in every little town and village in Canada, it seems. Acton and Georgetown are neighbouring towns. Pat lives in Georgetown. Kelly lives in Acton, about fifteen minutes further down the road.

“Did you speak with her?” I asked.

“Yeah. Well, not really. She talked. And I listened. She stood there at our table and talked for nearly an hour. Did you know she’s planning to move from Acton?”

I said Meagan had told me they were going to move to Oshawa.

“Oshawa? No, Kelly said they planned to rent a spot in Georgetown. Norval, actually. Didn’t she tell you?”

“No,” I said, “she never bothers to tell me anything. What else did she tell you?”

Linda drew in her breath and prefaced her answer with a big sigh.

“Pretty much everything, I guess. I mean, I hadn’t seen Kelly for about five years or so. I guess she felt she had to bring me up to date.”

“Was she alone, Linda?”

“Nope. Emily was with her. And two men. That’s the first time I ever met Emily. She’s cute, eh?”

“Yes, she’s a cutie. An hour, Linda? She was there for an hour?”

“Mmm-hmm. She rambled on about all kinds of stuff. I wanted to visit with my friends who were there from out of town. We’d gone to Tim’s to sit and visit. Kelly stood by our table and talked … just talked and talked. I nodded my head and asked a couple of questions, but boy that girl can sure talk.”

Yup, Ms Journal. That woman can sure talk. It’s a shame really. She has virtually NOTHING to say.

So they’re not moving to Oshawa. They’re actually moving closer to Mimico and not further away. That’s a good thing. But still I wonder what Dan will do. If he goes with them, he’ll have a hard time getting to work, although I suppose he could hitchhike.

At some point, Kelly will have to let me know her new address and phone number. I hope to see Meagan this coming weekend. She’ll have more information, hopefully.

In other news, I went to visit another sister yesterday. Jill. I hadn’t seen Jill in a long time. Months, I suppose. Pity, really. Jill lives the closest of all my siblings. My sister Donna lives nearby too. I wonder why I don’t often see her either? Anyway, I’ll tell you about Jill.

Jill’s my sister. My little sister. June’s twin. They’re four years my junior. Jill lost a breast to cancer a few years ago. She’s married and has two young children. A girl, Erin, who’s just turned five and a little boy, Jason, who’s three. I love my sister. But I am not fond of those kids.

Jill’s kids are … well, the word obstreperous comes to mind. Let me look up the meaning to be sure it’s appropriate.

Dictionary.com offers this definition:

ob·strep·er·ous

adj.

1. Noisily and stubbornly defiant.
2. Aggressively boisterous.

Yup. That’s about right. The last few times I’ve visited Jill, her kids have completely spoiled my time there. They shriek and bellow and fight and argue. They demand – DEMAND! – attention. And Jill does nothing to make them behave. She’s the parent. She has to be there. I, on the other hand, do not. I don’t need to tolerate that noise. I’m not used to it. I live alone, Ms J. So I purposely stayed away for a while.

I visited Pat. And Helen. And June. And Donna. But I avoided Jill. I felt guilty for doing so, but I honestly could not deal with the noise level there. How could I visit with my sister when Erin was demanding her mother’s attention and Jason was lying on his back on the kitchen floor, screaming at the ceiling?

But yesterday, my guilt forced me to return for another attempt at a visit.

It wasn’t too bad at all, Ms J. I was surprised. Pleasantly! The kids were fairly well-mannered. And Jill, for her part, seemed genuinely interested in keeping a quiet atmosphere that was conducive to conversation. I was there for two hours. We had a nice visit. Perhaps now that the kids have gotten a bit older, and Jill has begun to take steps to maintain a level of order, I may visit my sister more often.

I’ve missed her.

Tomorrow morning, I’m off to Mt. Forest to see Mum and Dad for a couple of days.
See you soon, Ms J!




I'll leave you with some pics from my trip to "The Land" with Pat:


We began our journey with a flat tire. Pat was really angry.


A young larch tree. Larch trees lose their needles in the fall. They were the last splash of colour in the bush around Pat's retreat.


Pat fixes a rafter to the top roof member. We worked in the cold until after dark.


He stood there and ignored the cold rain. My brother is a hardier soul than I, Ms J. I was nearly frozen. No, that's not the moon. It's a raindrop caught in the camera's flash.

***

4 Comments:

Blogger Terri said...

Dale, I have a kid, now 26, who was at one time in so much trouble I never thought I'd survive it - like "i wonder's" comment post, my son was in a lot of trouble. But, now my son is now the most wonderful human being I know (people continuously completely me on how wonderful he is - not having a clue to the past of course), the only advice I can give is don't give up. Don't give up and don't let go. I wrote you a response yesterday and decided not to post it, then I wrote you a long email and decided not to send it but in summary, your ex is as dumb as a stone and has not only set her son up for failure has sabotaged him. It makes me want to smack her because I could swear if I didn't know better I'd think she was my sister.

I know how it feels - the fear that goes along with having a child that you just think will never "get it." It's terrifying, depressing and at the same time frustrating and makes you angry. I've been there. Unfortunately, my nephew I'm sorry to say - who also got a girl pregnant at 17 - still doesn't "get it." We got him through high school, brought him back into our home last year for the third time and now at 23 have just given up. Reminding you to not give up, reminds me to not give up - although I'm completely exasperated as I know you are.

My sister for some reason doesn't want her son, my nephew, to do well because first, it just might give us credit for it (although that makes no sense - if he straightens out that's his doing, not mine) so she sets him up for failure. She's afraid he'll outgrow her. Looks like a similar situation here. He can't and won't see it but his mother has set him up. She's put him in a position of having to rely and depend on her - giving her power and control. It's disgusting and he's too naive and young to see it. And, he may never see it but you have to live every day with the hope that he will. Yes, by then he could have a baby or two and a wife or two but you can't help that. I'm sorry you're having to go through this - I'm sorry anyone has to go through it - because I honestly didn't think I'd survive it at one point. I was so depressed I went to bed for a year (I've talked about that on my blog).....

His only chance is your influence. Regardless of how much he refuses to see it now - if you are consistent in your morals and values - while at the same time trying to not be judgemental of him - and continue to love him - (Granted, a tall order) he might see the light. It will take longer than you want it to and probably won't happen until you think you just can't stand it another day, but there is hope.

I wish you to have the strength to maintain the hope. Sometimes it's all we got.

22 November 2005 at 18:11  
Blogger Zette said...

Amen to Terri! Don't give up, but don't change your morals or beliefs to suit him or anyone else.

Ms. J....I also had to stop because I wasn't sure I had read that right. But yep, Dale said G-U-N-S! Oh my. Who-da-thunk-it?

Dale, I sure hope you won't stop seeing your sister because of her kids. Maybe she's unaware of how they tend to disturb your visits. Do your other siblings have that problem with her too? Possibly it would help to gently mention it.

Hugs,
~Z~

23 November 2005 at 02:05  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Re: the photos
No wonder Pat was angry. It must be frustrating as hell taking a wheel off with just a screwdriver! (Check his right hand)

23 November 2005 at 04:33  
Blogger Michelle said...

Have a safe trip Dale. Look forward to hearing more :o)

24 November 2005 at 00:54  

Post a Comment

<< Home