A middle-aged WASP examines his Life, his heart and his home. Sometimes it all makes perfect sense. Not lately, though.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Friday, October 14, 2005

Summer's Last Gasp

What a gorgeous day it was in Mimico today. Cloudy in the morning, but by mid-afternoon it was brilliant! I walked to the church and back today and I hated to go in the house. But I had to, Ms Journal. Apples awaited.


Dad wouldn't let me leave Mt. Forest without taking some apples with me.

I put a few in a bag and began to tie it. But Dad thought I should have more.

"Jesus, boy! Take some apples! We've got more than we need. Take what you want!"

"This is all I want," I told him. "I won't use more than this."

"Shit," he said. "You'll need more than that if you're going to make apple sauce."

I've got about two pecks of apples, Ms J. About half a bushel. I decided to try making some apple sauce.


So I quartered a bag full and peeled off the skin and removed the seeds and husk.


Boiled it all down and added some sugar and a bit of cinnamon.

It filled two quart mason jars. I forgot to take a picture and I don't feel like going into the cellar to take a photo of two jars of apple sauce. You'll have to use your imagination here, Ms Journal. There's enough left over to have some for dessert this weekend. Meagan will be here and she loves apple sauce. I'm kind of looking forward to fetching a jar of homemade apple sauce from the cellar this winter when it's cold and stormy outside. It's then that I'll especially enjoy Dad's apples!




I've got to go and collect my girl right now, but I'll leave you with a couple of shots I took this aft' when I was out for a walk. As always, you can click on the images to see them full size. These are for you, Marie. Enjoy!


This Maple is just up the street. It's only just beginning to show its crimson mantle.


This one's a little prettier. Soon enough, though, the trees will drop their colourful robes in preparation for the long bath of winter.

***

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My mouth is watering at the thought of homemade applesauce!!!

Hey, do the Boy Scouts still have Apple Day? I have vivid memories of tromping all over Mimico selling Macintoshes to anyone who would buy, and eating several in the process.

15 October 2005 at 04:32  
Blogger Michelle said...

Wow Dale, those Maples are stunning! You can tell Autumn has kicked in!

15 October 2005 at 07:33  
Blogger Linda said...

I've lived in the Prairies longer than I lived in S. Ontario. The Prairies are lovely but nothing beats the gorgeous fall colours of your area. Thanks for the pictures!

16 October 2005 at 22:52  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Dale! The trees are beautiful. We drove up to Oxfordshire on the weekend and there was some pretty colour, but mostly yellow. I miss the Ontario autumn.

17 October 2005 at 09:40  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Dale,

You can save yourself some time if you don't peel your apples when you are making applesauce. Just boil them with the skins on ( take the seeds out though)

It changes the colour to a nice pinkish colour and I think that it tastes better too.
It is probably better for you too as a lot of the goodness is in the skin.

After they have boiled down just dump the whole thing into a colander or sieve (that is sitting in a big bowl)
Let the sauce drain out into the bowl (you have to help it along with a spoon)

When it is all finished then pour it back into the pot and add your sugar ( and cinnamon).
Heat it enough to dissolve the sugar.

Yum Yum! June

18 October 2005 at 13:01  

Post a Comment

<< Home