A middle-aged WASP examines his Life, his heart and his home. Sometimes it all makes perfect sense. Not lately, though.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Sunday, October 02, 2005

Worldwide Communion Sunday

They served communion at church this morning. Some churches do it every Sunday morning. I think the Catholics do. Anglicans too, maybe. Or The Church of England. Whatever.

I just think it's really cool that this morning, every (or nearly every) church around the globe served communion. The Roman Catholic Church. And the protestants. Anglicans, Methodists, Presbyterians, Baptists, The United Church of Canada (that's me, Ms J) and all the rest. Bread. Wine. We serve grape juice in lieu of wine, but it's the symbolism that counts. It gave me a sense of warm belonging to know that I am a part of a larger group who call themselves Christians, although I sometimes feel like we're too exclusive.

Personally, I find much more solace in a theology that is more about a Great Spirit Creator whose Love and grace offer hope and meaning, than a religion whose central tenet involves a man. Now, I'm not saying I don't believe in Jesus, Ms J. I'm only suggesting that there are other ways, lots of other ways to acknowledge and worship God. Or Allah. Muhammad. Or Buddha. Or whatever you want to call him. Or her.

Seems to me the world might be in better shape if we could all just agree on that.

Anyway, here's the Prayer After Communion:

"For the bread we have eaten, for the cup we have tasted, for the Life we have received, we thank you God. Grant that what we have done and have been given here, may so put its mark on us, that it may remain always in our hearts. Grant that we may grow in Christian Love and understanding, and that ours may be Lives of faithful action, in Christ's name. Amen."

Awesome possum, as Meagan would say.

***

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Dale:

Oh, I absolutely agree with this. I was brought up a Catholic, and they were (and still are, I imagine) much, much too exclusive. If I recall correctly, it used to be considered a sin to go to a service in another church!

Thanks for the note on my blog. I haven't been that good about posting lately. I didn't know Gemmak lived up there - I've seen her comment on your site.

Interesting haircolour for Meagan. Never did experiment with such bold colours myself. Maybe I should have.

By the way, as an avid reader of your blog, I can't help but be curious - what does Kelly look like? I'm having trouble picturing her. How does she manage to get together with all these men?

Marie

2 October 2005 at 18:15  
Blogger Michelle said...

Sounds as though you had a wonderful time Dale :)

2 October 2005 at 22:47  

Post a Comment

<< Home