Giving Thanks Means Thinking of Others
It's Thanksgiving weekend in Canada. Monday, actually. For Canadians, Thanksgiving is not quite the gala event like the one celebrated by our American neighbours. Our holiday appears a bit earlier on the calender and it's much quieter. More personal, perhaps. It's still about family and friends, of course, and it still involves feasting on ham and/or the traditional turkey. But in typical Canadian understated fashion, we'll spend at least a portion of this weekend pondering our great good fortune and feeling grateful.
And on that very topic (feeling grateful, that is) I'd like to share something with you. It happened yesterday, at work.
I was planning to meet with Bob King for breakfast that morning. He was taking his mother to the hospital and we were to meet while she underwent further testing to determine the extent of her cancer. Alas, there was a situation that developed at Hamilton which precluded my plans with Bob.
Due to a computer malfunction, all the Hamilton trains were late. We assumed the departure schedule of the first train and operated "in service" to Oshawa and back. This was not our regular run, Ms J. Not only could I not meet with Bob, but I didn’t even have time for my ritual coffee in the station at Hamilton. I was livid, and expressed my displeasure vociferously.
“This is bullshit, man,” I said to Tony on the engine later. “Figures the one morning I have plans and they order us to make a flip to Oshawa. Why this morning? Why now? And we have to go halfway around the friggin’ lake without even time to get a coffee. We’re late too, so we won’t have time to grab one at Union. Prob’ly not even at Oshawa.” And I cursed.
It’s seventy-five miles from Hamilton to Oshawa. Then we still had to come back to Union, making all the stops along the way, and store our train at Bathurst Street yard downtown and somehow get back to our cars at Mimico. I was outraged! Where was the justice, I wondered.
Then I thought of Bob. My friend was taking his mother to the hospital to have more tests done. She has cancer. Throat cancer. Bob’s mother, Olga, is dying.
I was quiet for a long time while I contrasted the two problems – mine and Olga’s.
I was being forced to work an extra two hours and being paid handsomely for it. I wouldn’t have time for coffee. Olga was dying of cancer.
I felt ashamed of my behaviour. I had no problem. Mine was a mere inconvenience. Olga, however, has a problem. Bob too.
Problem versus inconvenience.
I’d better learn to discern the difference.
I've invited Bob to join me for dinner this evening. Tomorrow morning, I plan to rise early and drive to Mt. Forest to spend a few days with Mum and Dad. I give thanks today for parents who both still enjoy good health. I give thanks for healthy children, and for friends. And I give thanks especially, for the consciousness that allows me to see it.
Happy Thanksgiving, everyone. I wish you a safe and pleasant holiday weekend. I'm on vacation next week. See you on Wednesday.
***


6 Comments:
Happy TG to you too, Dale. We are together: me. Cuppa, Butterfly, The Boy, Lady Bug, and Powerpuff. Well not in this particular hour, but for the most part for a few days. It's easy to become vexed over life's inconveniences and harder to put everything into context as you are able to do.
And happy Thanksgiving to you Dale. It's something I really miss about Canada - the autumn rituals. No Thanksgiving here in the UK, and although Halloween is making inroads, it's still viewed with suspicion by quite a few people. Actually, I miss the autumn itself - not much brilliant colour in the leaves either. Maybe you could find a nice colourful tree and post a photo for us forlorn expatriates?
Happy Thanksgiving Sausage! Drive safely, have a wonderful time :o)
Nice reminder, Dale, of all that we have to be thankful for.
Happy Thanksgiving, and enjoy your time with your parents. We had one thanksgiving meal last night and another one tomorrow. Family's a great thing to have.
You've made such a good point. That line often gets blurred: Problem versus inconvenience. Happy Thanksgiving to you!
Funny how that works - whenever I start to feel Whiny the Lord puts someone in my path to knock some sense into me. Hope your holiday is grand!
Post a Comment
<< Home