A middle-aged WASP examines his Life, his heart and his home. Sometimes it all makes perfect sense. Not lately, though.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Monday, October 17, 2005

My Hex-Wife

This is rich. Listen to this, Ms J.

I spoke with Kelly today. On the phone. She told me Maxine (Dan's pregnant girlfriend) has gone to live in a "home". She'll be staying there until two months after the baby's born. Counselors there will teach her Life skills and help her learn to care for a baby. It seems a daunting task. She's not able to care for herself, poor feckless girl. I'm pleased to learn she'll get some counselling. Dan could do with a little himself, but naturally, it's pointless to suggest it, as he already knows everything. Kelly did offer me a tiny shred of hope, though. Dan's found employment, in a local drugstore. He's been working hard for three weeks now, putting in overtime when he can, and saving a bit of money. Good for him!

The conversation turned to the impending birth (she's about eighteen weeks, I think) and Kelly expressed her hope that I might soon "come around." I told her I will one day come to accept this event. I'll have no choice in the end, will I? But I may never see it as a good thing. How can it be a good thing, Ms J? The Boy is nineteen. He has a grade ten education. An $8/hr job at a drugstore. The mother is seventeen. And retarded.

"Learning impaired," says Kelly.

Whatever. The girl doesn't have the sense God gave a lemon.

"Aren't you happy about becoming a grandfather?" Kelly asked.

How can she be so obtuse?

"No, Kelly," I told her. "I cannot feel happy about this."

She could tell I wasn't being swayed so she tried a slightly different approach.

"The ultra-sound technician says it's a boy. A grandson. He'll carry on the Pringle name."

I moved the cordless phone to the other ear, took a deep, slow breath, and waited for her to continue. I don't give a shit, I thought. But I didn't say it. It would only cause trouble.

"Did you tell your parents?" she asked.

"Yeah, they know."

"Are they happy about becoming great-grandparents?"

"Not really," I said.

That was it, Ms Journal. With those two words, I had lit Kelly's fuse. She loves to manipulate people and she's quite good at it. But when she's not successful, she goes berserk.

"Fine," she spat. "I'll just tell Daniel his grandparents don't want anything to do with him."

I tried to respond, but I was unable even to speak a single syllable without being interrupted. That's Kelly's method of attack. I'm quite familiar with it. She hurls words, sharpened like javelins, in a relentless verbal assault. Retreat is the only method of defense. So I hung up the phone.

I should have left it at that, but it seemed a childish thing to have done, so I called her back. (Here's where it gets interesting, Ms J.) She picked up the phone, but she didn't say hello.

"I hope you like the hex I just sent you," were the first words she spoke and they were dripping with poison.

"What?" I said. "What hex?"

"Like the last one I sent you. Remember when we had that big fight last winter? You went to church the next day and God pushed you down the stairs and you broke your fucking leg. Remember that? Well I hope you liked it, 'cause I just put another hex on you."

I was smiling, Ms J, and trying not to laugh. A hex? Was she really serious? Did she actually believe this? Does she think she's a witch with powers of black magic? Maybe I wasn't hearing correctly. I asked for an explanation.

"Kelly, I really have no idea what you're talking about. Did you say 'hex'?"

Then she began to wail. It wasn't crying, exactly. It was more of a ... well, it was a wail. She was wailing, Ms J. She was a wailing whale. Her voice was very loud, and shrieking. I couldn't make much sense of what she was saying. I could only pick out bits and pieces of it. Sentence fragments. Rubbish. But rubbish meant to hurt.

" ... Dan says he's never going to see your parents again."

" ... I'm taking you back to court for more child support."

" ... you're trying to take my kids away from me."

" ... your family is so fucked up."

" ... and Meagan hates you and she never wants to see you again."

That last one got to me. It pierced my heart, Ms Journal. I knew it wasn't true, but it hurt nonetheless. I am proud to tell you that I did not hang up the phone. I simply carried it into another room, gently set it down, and walked away. I suppose Kelly continued her toxic tirade then until she collapsed into hysterical tears and slammed down the phone. I suppose that's what she did. I don't know. I wasn't listening.

The mother of my children thinks she's a witch, with supernatural powers.

It's a wonder Dan's not more disturbed. God help them. Protect them. All of them.

***

9 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Don't take this wrong, Dale, but to an uninvested outsider this is priceless stuff.

17 October 2005 at 22:30  
Blogger Michelle said...

Oh brother! Firstly, forget the last bit of venom to spew from Kelly's pie hole...you know it just isn't true.
That woman is a fair dinkum nutter. Thank god for you, in your child's lives.......she just aint even on this planet.

18 October 2005 at 02:27  
Blogger Zette said...

I'm dying over here!!! "...Did you say 'hex'?" was the best line! Most definiteyl PRICELESS stuff, Dale!

Just to be on the 'safe' side, may I suggest you avoid steep church stairs for the time being? I'll be whipping up a 'counter-hex' for you! LMAO!

Have a SUPER AWESOME week, my dear friend!

18 October 2005 at 04:29  
Blogger Donna said...

I love that you can rise above this Dale. Andy's ex trys to send us venom too. I do rise above it, but it's so hard not to react. They are pathetic (Andy's ex and your ex). Why can't they, like us, try to put the kids first.

I believe you will come round to the Grandchild. You'll rise above it and be a good Grandfather just like you're a great Dad.

18 October 2005 at 05:17  
Blogger Dora said...

Oh - where to start. LOL
I know it isn't funny but I agree with AC that this stuff is priceless. She really is a piece of cake, isn't she? Let her go on living in her ignorance and delusion and you keep on living in your real life - the one where you are establishing a wonderful relationship with your daughter and modeling self care.

Dan will come around one day; it just isn't clear how long you're going to have to wait.

As far as the baby - there is a reason that God designed pregnancy to last as long as it does. There are adjustments for everyone, including 'to be' grandparents. That baby will melt your heart and things will fall into place just as they are supposed to. You will do just fine and love it. Give it time.

I don't think time is going to help Kelly tho...next time that you talk to her, you could say, "Since your powers are so great - how come you didn't exercise them to help Dan fix his life before it got so F'd up?" It probably would not be a good idea to ask why she doesn't do something about her own life....so use your own judgement on what all to say :)

Keep smiling Dale...oh, and keep writing cause this is entertaining to read and I need a diversion from my remodeling.

18 October 2005 at 06:39  
Blogger Linda said...

A hex? I'm speechless. And good for you to see through all the wailing and manipulating. Good luck and keep being the great dad that you are.

18 October 2005 at 11:40  
Blogger Heather Plett said...

It all seems rather pathetic - her trying to ruin your life to somehow lift herself above the dreariness of her own. Sad. Glad you can (to some degree) separate yourself from it and recognize it for what it is.

19 October 2005 at 09:35  
Blogger Zette said...

Dale,
I just HAD to come back here and post another comment after I found this:
http://www.strangenewproducts.com/2005/10/psychotronic-wishing-machine.html

Maybe THIS is how your 'Hew-Wife" is working?!! LMAO! Whatcha think?

I like this line: "Radionics can be used to project energy and specific itent to oneself and others."

20 October 2005 at 02:54  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am speechless in Mimico. You have lots of friends but I know in cannot but be upsetting for you. Take care - you are thought about. AJH

20 October 2005 at 12:04  

Post a Comment

<< Home