In the Bin
Hello, Ms J. I mentioned a couple of days ago that Dan had left some pornography here when he rushed to escape this "hell" and his "evil father." Those were Dan's words, remember? He left them on his white board in his pig sty - er, I mean bedroom. My son had decided he could no longer bear my oppressive tyranny because I don't allow drugs here. And I cannot countenance disrespect. So he fled to the safety of his mother's house. No challenge there, Ms J. Kelly gives the boy carte blanche to behave as he likes.
For a while after he disappeared, I dealt with things he'd left in his wake: Ubiquitous cat hair. Cat litter strewn about the cellar floor. Long hair clogging the shower drain. Cigarette butts in the garden. And a bedroom that was so filthy, it was scarcely habitable. I could not bear to look in there, so I simply closed the door and left it.
About a month ago, a neighbour offered to clean my house for me. For free. Patty is really nice. She helped me get ready for a house warming/Christmas party when I first moved in here in December 2003. She's a nurse at St. Joe's hospital. Patty cleans houses to earn extra money. When she was here the last time, I spoke to her about Dan's bedroom.
"Just leave that room, Patty. Don't even go in there," I warned her. "There's no telling what horrible disease you might catch."
But Patty laughed off my warning and called to me down the stairs.
"Oh, don't worry about it, Dale. I've seen worse than that. I'll tidy up in there for you."
So she vacuumed and dusted and generally put things in order. She gathered up all the debris and detritus that remained as evidence of a Life poorly-lived; it filled two green garbage bags. Think of it, Ms J! I still shake my head in disbelief.
A few days ago, I had some ladies from the church here for a meeting. As they hadn't been here before, I offered to show them around my home. It's a small house, Ms J. It didn't take long. Upstairs, I proudly showed them my bedroom with its new (old) chest of drawers. Then we went and peeked in Dan's room. I had no concerns about showing the room. I knew it was clean and tidy. I spotted a cardboard box at the foot of the bed and when I noticed what was sitting atop it, I quickly ushered the women out of there and back downstairs.
On top of the box, in full view of anyone who cared to look, was a stack of porno magazines and two pornographic videos. Hardcore stuff, Ms J. Very hardcore. The title of the video on the top was clearly visible in great, bold red letters. "ANAL TEEN SLUTS"
Patty must have discovered The Boy's stash when she tidied up in there. I suppose she didn't quite know what to do with it and she was probably too uncomfortable to ask. So she left it where she thought I might find it. I tell you truly, Ms Journal. I was mortified! I'm not sure if any of the ladies noticed it, although I doubt they would have mentioned it if they had.
Since that day, I've left the pile of filth there while I pondered its disposition. It doesn't belong to me. Do I have the right, then to dispose of it? Perhaps not. But it's in my home and I do not want that stuff here. I considered calling Dan and asking him what he thinks I should do with it. But that would only embarrass him. I decided that if it were that important to him, he would have taken it when he left. This is my home, Ms J. My refuge. My sanctuary. And I do not want that kind of material here.
I stuffed it all in a bag. On Friday, it'll go to the dump with the rest of the rubbish. Too bad, Dan.
Oh, and thanks for drinking my vodka and then filling the bottle again with water. Did you think I wouldn't notice? You have offended me, son. Again.

10 Comments:
Dale, I'm guessing that (like me) you're seldom on a roll for too long. Look at the bright side of this. It means you're not likely to suddenly find out that you're a grandfather. The boy's got to have a severe case of tennis elbow.
Yeah, Bp. I'll bet he does. Penis elbow.
Oh Dale, I'm sorry but I couldn't help but laugh a little at this. I'm sure Dan has a real bad case of tennis/penis elbow but having a stash of porn is probably the most normal thing I've heard you mention he has done in all the time I have know you!! I only hope your visitors either didn't notice or are parents and familiar enough with the habits of teenage boys! Did I say teenage boys there? I meant....no, best I don't go there........ ;o)
I see nothing wrong with throwing that stuff out.
Now he can water his mother's booze and leave porn for her, too.
Hope he grows up soon and realizes what he's missing. Hang in there.
Can't really add anything everyone else has said it all!
When my boys went through a phase of that sort of 'reading matter' I had no compunction about throwing it out when I discovered it. The funny thing was, they were in a no-win situation, because they were too embarrassed to complain when they discovered it was missing! :)
the porn is a normal phase; however, you don't have to tolerate in. Throw it out.
Try to focus more on how well you are doing as opposed to keeping tabs on how many times your children dissapoint or offend you.
Parenting is damn hard, full of dissapointments and offense - we can't focus on that Dale....we love them in spite of themselves (and ourselves) and we keep setting/enforcing healthy boundaries and move ahead.
Forgiveness is a gift you give yourself. Is it time for you to go shopping?
BTW- forgiving someone for what they have done does not equal forgetting the lessons that you have learned...it only means that you free up the negative energy and drain that is sucking your life and screwing with your soul.
I've walked this path and I dont envy you dear.
I feel your pain, man. My son is 22, but back when he was in high school I had serious doubts about my paternity. How could this man-child monster be from my gene pool, I thought. His mother's side I could understand, but me!? :)
Now it's funny to see him "discover" my advice wasn't as stupid as he thought just a few years ago. *Sigh* the rewards of responsible parenting are sometimes long in coming...
i know. i love ya my friend. imagine being the MOM of these kinda aliens instead of the dad! i'm glad that the only thing we can truely ever count on is that they WILL eventually grow up.
have faith
ALl said it best b4 me, but added support. Yes, very normal for boy (or girl) to explore w/ those mags.
I'm sorry for your pain in dealing w/ your son (and daughter.) It must be gut-wrenching. Mine are at home and that is hard, real tough. I can't imagine what you're going through.
I laughed at "Penis elbow." You have a way with words. Despite it being normal, it IS your home, so I'm glad you're disposing of those items since they bother you.
I hope your guests did not judge you for what was in his room b/c that was out of your control. I bet most of the women, felt for you, despite how embarrassing anyone may have also felt.
I hope your healing. I painted a sunrise today!
Post a Comment
<< Home