A middle-aged WASP examines his Life, his heart and his home. Sometimes it all makes perfect sense. Not lately, though.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Discouraging Words from the Doctor

I went to the fracture clinic this morning to see Dr. Sawbones. He studied the recent x-ray.
"Is the fibula healed yet, Doc?" I asked hopefully.
"No," he replied. "But it's coming along."
They always say that, don't they? It's coming along. So's a cow's tail, I wanted to tell him.
"When can I get rid of this cast?"
"When the bone is healed."
"How come it's taking so long to heal?"
"Well, you're not a kid anymore, ya know."
Yeah. Thanks for the reminder.
"How's your foot coming along?" he asked.
"Well," I said. "It's not coming along worth a shit, really. But thanks for asking."
I showed him how little I can move my foot.
"Hmmm," he said and rubbed his forehead with the back of his hand. "Do you have an appointment for an EMG?"
Electromyogram, Ms J. A conductivity test to see if there's nerve damage in my leg/foot.
"Yeah. May 16th," I told him.
"Well, there's not much point in me seeing you before those tests are done. Come back and see me around the end of the month."
My next appointment to see this guy is on May 24th. It's a Tuesday, I think. He'll x-ray me again and let me know if my cast can come off permanently, and if I'll be able to walk normally again. The play in Caledon opens on May 26th. I need that cast to be off by then.

The play calls for my character, Gilbert Fleet, to fall off a ladder and break his leg. He crawls painfully up the stairs from his basement flat to bang on his landlady's door.

"Sorry to disturb you, Barbara," he says. "But I think I've broken my leg."

I'll talk to Val about my situation. We may have to amend Gilbert's line a bit.

"Sorry to disturb you, Barbara, but I think I've broken my other leg."

4 Comments:

Blogger Larry said...

Hey Dale.....

Well doesn't THAT just suck!!!!!

The EMG is fun, not that it hurts, just interesting to see, in my case' how little control I have on my left leg.

Just think, break the OTHER leg and we can throw you into the water and change your name to 'Bob'.

I'm sorry....that wasn't funny.....

What am I talking about???? YES it WAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chin Up Dale....errrr....Bob....

20 April 2005 at 08:52  
Blogger Nam LaMore said...

sorry to read that you've two broken legs? so, what do you do for fun until you're healed? i mean, blogging and playing scrabble can only be entertaining for a few hours before i need to find other activities.

the last time i was bed-ridden for a week, i read all the literatures that i didn't read in high school (used cliff notes!). i had an excuse back then: i was a slow reader.

20 April 2005 at 14:14  
Blogger gemmak said...

Sorry to hear you're not going to be running a marathon anytime soon but hopefully it will heal before too much longer.

I love this line: "So's a cow's tail, I wanted to tell him." I have to remember that one! heh

20 April 2005 at 18:20  
Blogger Gel said...

Whoah- that news stinks. Hope you heal faster than the dr. thinks.
My 2 daughters are heavily involved in high school theatre. Younger one is planning to major in tech side of it in college. Feel better soon! :)

24 April 2005 at 03:14  

Post a Comment

<< Home