Dan got his guitar yesterday. We went downtown to a music shop on Queen St. “Steve’s Music Shop.” I’ve never seen so many musical instruments! I spoke with a salesman.
“Where are your used guitars?” I asked. “Acoustic.”
“Oh they come and go,” was his response.
“Have any come recently?”
“Oh yes.”
This was more difficult than I had anticipated, Ms J. I raised my eyebrows somewhat hopefully, and turned both palms upward.
“And are there any still here, perchance?”
“Used guitars? Naw, they’re gone. They come and go, eh.”
My eyebrows came down and moved toward each other in a show of solidarity. It felt like a frown.
“I see. So you have no used guitars at the moment. Is that correct.”
“Not right now, sir. But prob’ly next week. Late.”
Dan’s constant talk of guitars was wearing me down. Eroding my will, indeed my very sanity. I knew I could not hold out for another week. Besides, I had promised my boy a guitar today. I am not one who breaks promises. That job seems to have fallen to Kelly.
“OK, then,” I said. “Show us your new ones.”
He was happy to oblige. He rubbed his hands together expectantly and led us to a sacred space behind a wooden door. Dozens of guitars of every size and shape hung from the ceiling. Red guitars. Blue Guitars. Ones made of wood and others fashioned from metal. Shiny metal. Chrome, Ms J. Chrome guitars! I was impressed. I looked at Dan. He was unable to contain his glee.
“Holy crap! This place rocks, Dad!”
Yes. So I bought a guitar. A blue one. And an instructional booklet that came with a DVD. “Beginner’s Guitar.”
Guitar: $166.70
Instructional booklet: $20.65
Parking ticket: $30.
Total cost of trip downtown: $217.35
Look on Dan’s face, hug, “I love you Dad. Thanks.”: Priceless! I’ll let him play around with it for a while on his own. I know he’s not ready for lessons yet. His mind is still too dull from drugs.
7 Comments:
Rofl @ 'parking ticket $30'! So funny. I'm glad Dan got his guitar tho, even if it means you don't eat all week! Oh, and your parking tickets are cheap, here they are £40.
I really enjoyed your blog today Dale......It put a real smile on my face.....I hope Dan knows how you you love your son.....Man.....He is so lucky
ROCK ON!!!!!!!
ps...The parking ticket.....omg!!!!
I'm with Gem, parking tickets down under are $50.
You softie Dale.......i bet it was worth it :)
WTG, Dale! That was really great of you and I'm sure Dan appreciates it more than he knows how to say.
I have to agree that the acoustic approach BEFORE the electric endeavor, is the smart way to go. (Not to mention a lot easier for dear ol' dad's ears and sanity.)
I have a friend who has been playing guitar for probably 10-15 years now. He taught himself on his first guitar....an acoustic. Now this guy plays HARD PUNK ROCK; the kind that makes you cringe. But when he is simply playing his acoustic guitar, he's transformed into someone entirely different. (I LOVE when he plays this way.) He writes all his own music, using his acoustic, then tries it out on one of the electric guitars.
I think using the acoustic will not only keep the volume down and the noise to a minimum, but it will force Dan into taking it in baby steps to reach his goal successfully and happily. He'll better be able to learn the basics without roadblocks.
Again, Way To GO!! WOOOOOHOOOOO!!!!!
Thanks, everyone. Yes $30. for a parking ticket. I remember feeling so thankful when I removed it from the windshield. "Thank goodness it's only $30.," I thought. "Imagine if I lived in Australia or Britain."
LOL!!!!!!!!!
Hi you, it's Hey There again.
8 COMMENTS!!
Dale, You Rock!!!!!
Nine. Well, ten now. Cool, innit?
Post a Comment
<< Home