A middle-aged WASP examines his Life, his heart and his home. Sometimes it all makes perfect sense. Not lately, though.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Saturday, January 01, 2005

Never a Break, It Seems

Dan was missing his mother. He wanted to go and spend time there with her in Acton. And he said he missed his "sister" Emily. Emily is his HALF-sister. Meagan is his sister. I'm going to be completely honest with you, Ms J. I couldn't care less about Emily. Emily is NOBODY to me. Nobody. She's the illegitimate child of my ex-wife and her ex-boyfriend. I wish Emily had never been born. Now don't misunderstand me, Ms J. I don't dislike the child. I just don't love her. I may never love her. I resent her. Isn't that awful? I don't tell Dan and Meagan how I feel. I will never tell them how I feel. But I'm telling you, Ms J. I wish she were never born.

So anyway, I drove Dan to Acton on New Years Eve. He had packed a huge bag and stuffed it full of clothes. And his medicine. Enough for six days. I hugged him outside Kelly's door and said I'd miss him while he was gone. But secretly, I was REALLY looking forward to having a Dan-free week here in Mimico. My own space again. Solitude. Without any of that ungodly screaming and loud thrashing of guitars, that Dan calls "music." A clean kitchen that stays that way all day. Television off. Peace. Quiet. Listening to my own thoughts. NOT having to listen to Dan's mindless and continual chatter about drugs and TV shows and "death metal" bands with names like "Carcass" and "Dying Fetus" and "Blood for Blood" and "Skinless" and "Slayer" and "Megadeth." Disgusting, appalling bloody gore, without a trace of artistic merit. Noise.

I nod my head and feign interest. I must be a horrible father, Ms J. But his music sickens me. And he talks non-stop. He talks about starting a band. But he doesn't own an instrument and has no idea how to play one. He says he will teach himself to play the guitar. Electric guitar. The louder, the better. He says Emily shows musical aptitude. He plans to buy her a guitar when she gets a bit bigger, so she can join his band. Emily is ten months old.

And Dan claims to be able to communicate with Tara, the cat. This frightens me a bit.

"She sends pictures to me, Dad. Like an empty food bowl. Or a dirty litter box. Pictures. I send pictures back to her. That's how we talk. With our minds. Cats don't really understand words. They communicate with images. It's a new skill I've developed."

Yeah right, son. You're Doctor friggin' Doolittle.

I even asked him last week, point blank, "Do you honestly believe you can talk to Tara, Dan?"

"Yes, Dad. I can talk with her. Nothing too complicated, of course. But simple messages, yes."

This can't be normal, Ms Journal. These cannot be rational thoughts. Can they???

Dan is 18 years old. He's not 6. But he seems quite capable of conjuring up the most fantastical of fantasies. Hockey player. Rock and Roll guitarist. Cat whisperer. Come on. Let's get real, shall we? It's very difficult to listen to. I haven't actually refuted the things he says. I haven't gone far towards telling my son he's a fanciful dreamer. I just clench my jaw, and suffer it.

Should I let him know I think he's full of shite? I don't know what to do.

I went to a party last night with some theatre friends. Jenn and Jane. Andrew and Stacey. Larry. I enjoyed myself. I laughed. I drank lots of red wine. I socialized with adults. It was good. Good. And I came home today, planning to do some housework. Read some blogs. Post here. Read my e-mail. Yes, I was quite looking forward to using the internet this week. This quiet, peaceful, solitary week.

But the phone rang a few minutes ago. I almost didn't answer it. But I did. Guess who?

"It's getting really stressful here, Dad. Mum and Gary have been fighting all day. I don't even have a place to sleep unless I sleep on the couch. Tim's in my old room downstairs. I don't want to stay here any longer, Dad. Can you come and get me?"

Sigh ...................................................

"Can you deal with it til tomorrow, Dan? I'll come and collect you tomorrow after church."

I was really planning to have a friend here for lunch or maybe dinner tomorrow, Ms J. Christine. I enjoy Christine's company. And she's cute as hell. But instead, I have to drive an hour each way to Acton to get Dan.

Good-bye, quiet solitude. So long, internet. Hello Dying Fetus. Cat whisperer. Walter Mitty.

These are my thoughts today, Ms Journal. This is how I feel. I must be a pretty selfish father.

8 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

Firstly Dale, NEVER think your selfish. If anyone happens to be that way, it would be your ex.
Secondly, Dan will never not believe he can't communicate with the cat. It's a sad product of the drugs talking. Perhaps he isn't using now, but prior usage has definately damaged him. Unfortunately, this type of behaviour will never leave him ( sick death metal bands included) until he gets professional treatment.......i'm talking long term, not a week in a dry out place. I wonder if there are any drug rehab centres in your town....he needs to go as an inpatient, willingly of course. You've been an absolute rock for him and will continue to be. It's very evident that his problems are wearing you down, you too need respite from it all too. Your only human.

2 January 2005 at 04:18  
Blogger Jennytc said...

No, Dale, you are absolutely not selfish. You are entitled to your life too and as Michelle says, you can't let it wear you down. If you get ill, you can't be there for your children. I'll email you later.

2 January 2005 at 07:12  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dale,

You have been the best dad you can be and sometimes that means thinking of yourself first. It doesn't make you selfish, or awful. It makes you human. And with all you've been through recently, it's totally understandable.

But I do worry about your remarks about Emily. I will not begrudge you your feelings or tell you that you're wrong but I wonder why you resent this child? She is NOT your child to worry about, let alone love or even care about. She is however your children's sister (they don't see her as 1/2), and whether you like that or not, it's a fact of their life. One that unfortunately has created more chaos and drama in YOUR children's life. Maybe that is why you resent her. But she is an innocent person in the twisted life of your ex, and deserves the love of her older siblings. Your resentment in my humble view, may be more at your ex for disturbing your kids' lives further with another child.

To be true, the issues you have with your ex and your view of her "life" are quite valid, but unless there are things she is doing illegally, there's not much you can do, but keep being the stand-up dad you've been. Your kids will appreciate it later. And the less you bad mouth their mom and let them form thier own opinions (as Dan has clearly done) of her and her life, the better you'll look in the long run. (This is something I lived thru as a child and know from experience that the less negativity, the better.)

As far as Dan's choice of music: well I guess that's partly a generation thing, and partly his illness. Few parents ever approve of their kids music, but most of us have grown up ok. However, considering the violent nature of his music and especially because of his illness, I would suggest you try explaining why you dislike it and encourage he try listening to other types of music at least while under your roof or when you're around. Consider it a compromise of sorts.

And as far as his daydreaming and cat-ESP: I'd definately make sure his doctor is aware of these notions. Can he really talk to the cat? Probably not. But he thinks he can, and you telling him he can't isn't going to change his beliefs on this. But that doesn't mean you have to "buy into it" with him.

I hope the upcoming week brings good things to you and Dan, and that things begin to get better sooner, rather than later. Take care friend.

2 January 2005 at 07:31  
Blogger gemmak said...

Ok Dale, this is the deal, you quit saying or thinking you are selfish or I get on an Air Canada flight and come kick your ass harder than you ever got it kicked before! You may be many things but selfish is most definately NOT one of them. You are one of the kindest most caring parents anyone could wish for but you are allowed a life too you know. It is not selfish or bad to want something for you......it is healthy and a must, particularly when you are going through such difficult times. Are you listening? xx

2 January 2005 at 17:14  
Blogger Terri said...

Intense stuff Dale. I see you clearly as a very good, dedicated, loving father and dad and you're being forced once again to see that there are no perfect parents. Not even you. Although, clearly you come pretty close when it comes go Dads given some of you circumstances. And, by accepting that, you also have to accept that sometimes, there are no answers. It's just "do." You don't get the answer of what to do so you just have to do something. Good Cop / Bad Cop, which ever role Do the best you can, with what you've got, and that's all you can do. And, when you can do better, you will do better.

I love ya man and I feel for you I really do. I wish you were here in front of the fireplace with a bottle of Merlot and it's raining outside and we could talk about being parents of troubled teens. It would be nice to sit down with some one who "get's it"

The cat thing. Well, I'd be curious to know are these conversational or is the cat telling him to do things. Giving him orders or asking him to do something he feels compelled to do. When you ask about it does he seem anxious to tell you about it or does some part of him know this sounds a little silly? You can't tell anything from the little information you have. When did this start? How did it happen? If he's telling these answers to you, intently and matter of factly wihtout seeing anything unordinary about it then I think I'd want to get further into it. If not, if he's taking it lightly, maybe in fun, Like he thinks he's talking to the cat but knows that's kinda weird, then I wouldn't press on for inforation now and wait and sww what happens. Does this happen when he's high or staight?

I'm with you Dale, I really am. I would give you the biggest hug right now if my arms stretched that far. I have STeve here and that's all that gets me through some of this craziness. Yes, my nephew returned a couple of days after he was supposed to leave and I had that same momentary but spinning feeling. Dishes everywhere, bedding in a ball, dirty socks everywhere, my nagging about all of the above, his moodiness, his black clothes, his immaturity....It all comes flashing back and for some reason when he's here, things break. Now, I'm not saying he breaks them, I can't prove that but for whatever reason when he's here, things break. holes in cabinets, in doors (he played darts using the garage door, and on and on....It makes me feel like I should just stay here in my bedroom. Give them the house and I'll just live here in my room! Good luck and I hope you have a good life day today and I'll be thinking of you.

3 January 2005 at 03:10  
Blogger Zette said...

Stopping back by to check in on you and what do I find? The comment section hates me....LOL! J/K! The anonymous post was mine, which is weird because I NEVER post anonymously. And I tried to post another comment to tell you and it didn't take. LOL! But OMG! You sure did get a lot of helpful advice here...LOVE IT! I hope it really does help you get through the next few days, weeks, and months. Keep on doing what you're doing and things will fall into place where they belong. You're a GREAT father....NO, You're a GREAT DAD! Take care.

~Zette~

3 January 2005 at 08:34  
Blogger English Professor said...

You are in a tough spot, for sure, but, eventually, "this too shall pass." Some of the suggestions here are excellent (don't badmouth anybody to your kids), and a few are good-intentioned but, sorry, I don't think he's to a point yet where he can utilize a planner. The music is enough to make anyone lose their mind--do you feel comfortable setting limits, such as deathmetal only after 10:00 p.m., or with headphones, or whatever? I don't know you or your son, so I don't know if this is practical or not. Perhaps you could try to get him hooked on something equally *cool*, like jazz; he might not take a direction suggestion from you, but perhaps if you slipped Charlie Parker or Miles Davis into his room . . .

3 January 2005 at 21:45  
Blogger magz said...

(pssssst..... you know I'm here.)
truth? that was the ONLY part that didnt worry me a little, since I know for a fact that the Vulcan Mind Meld is much easier with animals than people.. it takes years and years of practicing on simpler psyches to begin to get good at doin it w/humans....

4 January 2005 at 13:49  

Post a Comment

<< Home