Trust. Faith. Hope.
I've been really stressed out lately, Ms J. You may have noticed. Others are aware of it. Friends. Acquaintances. Colleen, certainly. I'm sure she must cringe every time the topic of conversation turns to work. Yeah, I'm angry. Damn right I'm angry. And frankly, I find it cathartic to vent here. But I'm beginning to see how my negative thoughts and words can affect others besides myself.
Dora says my posts are "bitter, pungent, and negative." Pungent? Well, yes, I suppose anger has a certain odour to it. What I've been writing and thinking and saying lately ... stinks. She says I'm lost in the muck, Ms J, and she's right. But just to set the record straight, the issue is not my ex-wife. It's my job. I don't have to see Kelly ever again, but I do have to go to work.
I read Anvilcloud's post about forgiveness the other day and it set me to thinking. Forgiveness is a lovely word to say, but it's not an easy thing to do. Is it? Dad has always struggled with it and I'm no different. I read AC's post through and then I read it again. And then a third time. One paragraph stands out.
"You see, old hurts just keep resurfacing in our brains. We rethink the old thoughts and are wounded anew every time as we relive the grief, anger, pain, and sorrow from the past. We re-experience these negative emotions every time we replay an old, hurtful episode in our heads. It makes no sense, for it does us no good and usually affects the other party not a whit."
Not a whit, Ms Journal. All the ill-will and all the curses and all the evil I wish against my employer does not have the slightest effect. It doesn't change things in the least. All it does is raise my blood pressure and rob me of sleep. As I lay awake at night plotting revengeful fantasies against my tormentors, I am "wounded anew".
The jobs are gone. It's a done deal. My company didn't bid on the work, so the work was awarded to another company. It's that simple. And I'm driving myself and those around me crazy by imagining I might somehow alter the course of events. The transfer process will be done in stages. That will buy me some time. I will do my best to accept with dignity what is to come. And like everything else in Life, this too will come to pass.
I've had my trials. Over the past few years, I've suffered a broken leg, a disturbed son, a daughter who rejected me. I've been dismissed from my job to be later reinstated. I've survived two divorces and been hobbled financially by exorbitant child support obligations. All these events were unpleasant. They were all painful in one way or another. But I survived each one. Each one came to pass. Each one carried with it an important lesson, and I hope in the end, offered me new strength.
Hope is the key to survival. Hope is built on a foundation of faith and trust. I will continue to hope for a new job with a different railroad. I will strive to maintain my faith in God and trust that He'll deliver me safely through this miasma of fear and uncertainty.
Trust. Faith. Hope.
Surely, it's worth a try, Ms J. Clearly, the old ways weren't working.
***

6 Comments:
Dale, I admire your courage and strength over the past while between your divorces, your children, and work. I can understand your bitterness towards your employer. Unfortunately times change, and there is no consideration for the people who truly make the business work. I read your blog whenever I can, and I know some people are telling you what you should and should not write here. We all need a way to vent, and if writing it down gets all your frustrations, fears and anger out, then it is worth it. Faith, Hope and Trust Dale. Just believe and trust that things will work out and they will. God Bless.
It isn't, nor was it ever, my intent to direct you in what to post or not to post on your blog, Dale.
I want to encourage you to focus on what you WANT and not what you do not want.
When we focus on the negative - we attract more of that.
There have been times in my life when I was scared shitless of changes and things I felt where out of my control. I didn't help myself (or those I love) by bitching or complaining about them as much as I helped myself when I learned to let it go.
You are right - it is HARD to do and only when we have done it and can look back are we able to realize just how much negative energy we burned and wasted on those things/people who didn't give a rat's rear end about us except perhaps to lesson our value or power.
I want to see you prosper. I want to see you realize the MAXIMUM value from your relationships. I want to see you live with a peace that the railroad can't touch and WISHES they possessed.
I'm suggesting that as long as you focus on that which you hate or can't control, that you will be limited in the goodness that you can feel deep within your soul.
We all need a place to vent. When the venting becomes our existence....we need help from those who care for us or from trained professionals.
I do not want to see you harm yourself (or your job or those you love) by the words you share here.
Not only is it worth a try...you will succeed ultimately and constantly thinking negatively only grinds you down more and more. A more positive approach may not actually solve specific difficulties but it will lighten your mood a little gradually and make those difficulties seem less insurmountable. Good luck with your new strategies :o)
I'm liking your new (or renewed) attitude Dale :D liking it a lot.
I'm glad that I remember to check back here every now and then. Life is a journey,eh?
Very interesting and good post!
However I for one hope that you continue your blog the way it is. I already feel that it has lost something now that family members are reading it and you have to self-censor yourself. Perhaps I am being selfish, but I lead a rather boring and mundane life and I find that I sometimes live vicariously though your incredible and often conflicted jouney.
What separates your blog from the 99.9% of other blogs out there is that you write about real life and the trials and tribulations thereof. Most blogs or painfully bland that talk endlessly about how great things are going or how wonderful the kids are making out or provide endless photos of babies and grandchildren. Bland… Bland… Bland!
You write about interesting stuff and your conflict, be it "bitter, pungent, and negative" or whatever is great stuff!
Keep on blogging!
J
Post a Comment
<< Home