My Life: Chapter 10,037
I took Meagan home last night. In the car, on Highway 401, she spoke, breaking a comfortable silence.
"So we're movin' soon, eh Dad?"
"Moving?" I said. "Has Mummy sold the house?"
"Yeah. Well, not Mum, actually. It was Scott's house. We were renting it from him."
"I see."
I busied myself with a lane change and waited for her to continue.
"They want us out by the end of November -- the people who bought the house. So we have to move. Mum says we'll prob'ly end up in Oshawa. Tim's mum lives there, eh? So we'll prob'ly stay there for a few months til Mum and Tim find another place. Me and Emily will have to share a room."
I corrected her grammar.
"Emily and I."
"Whatever, Dad."
My thoughts came swirling to me like dry leaves before a stiff wind. Moving. Again. A new school for Meagan. New friends. Again. Oshawa is further away than Acton. It's more than an hour from Mimico. Til Mum and Tim find another place? Is Kelly so dull she wouldn't think to arrange for a home to move into when her current home was sold? Apparently. So they'll live for a few months in Tim's mother's home. Meagan will get settled in a new school, make a few friends, and then Kelly will pull up stakes and relocate again. God, how I despise that woman! She is not thinking at all of Meagan or what's best for her. And what about Dan? He's got a job, finally. Will he have to quit his job and move to Oshawa too? Ninety miles from Acton?
But I kept my thoughts to myself.
"How do you feel about moving, Scout?" I asked. "Are you excited about it or do you wish you could stay in Acton?"
"I'm not sure, exactly," she said after considering it for a moment. "I'm happy to get out of this stupid hick town, but I wish I didn't have to leave my friends."
I searched my mind desperately, looking for a way to put a postive spin on this new upheaval.
"Sometimes it's good to make a fresh start," I said, nodding my head in a bid to sound convincing. "What about Dan? Is he going too?"
A long silence followed. A few tiny drops of rain lit on the windshield. I waited as long as I could before I turned to look at my daughter. She sat there staring straight ahead, her round face lit a soft red by the tail-lights of the cars ahead.
"What's on your mind, Girl?" I asked. "Please tell me."
She spoke without moving her head.
"Can I ask you something, Dad? Without you getting upset?"
Shit, I thought. What now?
"You can ask me anything you want, Meagan. I can't promise I won't get upset, but I promise to try not to. OK?"
"Do you think you'll ever accept Dan's baby?"
I winced and bit my lip. I took a deep, slow breath and rubbed my cheek. I needed a shave. Kelly had been talking to her, telling her the things I'd said about Maxine and Dan and this ... baby. Why did she ever introduce those two desperate souls in the first place? Why a retarded girl? I'm so fucking angry with Dan for doing this. So angry with Kelly. And I can't even express my feelings to them without causing more trouble for myself. More heartache. Why did God let this happen? Where is the lesson in this?
"Dad? Did you hear me?"
"Yes, I heard you. I'm just trying to put my thoughts into words."
"OK. I'm not really supposed to be talking to you about this, but Dan is really upset. That's why he hasn't been coming around lately. He's pissed off with you because you won't accept his baby. He's been doing real good lately, Dad. He has. He's really trying hard to be responsible. He pays Mum her rent and he buys things for Maxine - you know, clothes and stuff. He goes to work almost every day. That baby is going to come, Dad, whether you like it or not. Maxine is starting to show. And it's Dan's baby. I think it's going to be a boy, Mum said. It's Dan's son. Your grandson."
Her words found their way to my heart, Ms Journal. But I refused to let them in. My iron-clad heart remained closed.
"One day I will, Meagan. Accept it, I mean. But I'm not ready yet. I'm sorry Dan's angry with me. I'm not particularly pleased with him, either. But I still love him. He's my son. My only son."
"And this baby will be your only grandson."
I felt as though I were talking to Kelly. I decided not to try to defend my position.
"I know," I said. "But I'm not ready to love it yet. Remember two Easters ago when I came to talk with you and Dan and Mum and Tim? I cried because I couldn't bring myself to feel happy about Emily. I didn't want you and Dan to have a half-sister. That was a really hard time for me, Scout. Remember?"
"I remember, Dad. And I also remember how you brought Easter candy for us and even a little plush toy for Emily. Mum was so happy when you did that. Why don't you do that for Dan? Why don't you just buy a little newborn outfit and give it to him? It would mean a lot to him, Dad."
I shook my head solemnly.
"But it would be a meaningless gesture, Meagan. It would be worthless because it wouldn't be genuine. Do you understand?"
"Yeah, but Dan wouldn't know."
"His spirit would know. And I would know. I can't do it, Scout. I can't be phony."
She sighed long and loud.
"He loves you, you know."
"I love him too," I said. "But I need time to come to grips with all this. You'll have to give me time, Meagan. I'll come around eventually. I will. But I'm not able to be happy about this just yet. Tell your brother I miss him. Tell him I still love him. But I need to see that he's doing some growing up."
She nodded her head in silence.
That's it, then, Ms J. That's how I feel. That's the best I can do. For now, anyway.
***


14 Comments:
Meagan's grown up. You should be proud of both you. Yourself for speaking from the heart, and she for accepting in such a grown up manner, your response :o)
It must be awfully difficult for Meagan to be stuck in the middle of a mindless nong like Kelly and her father who has ethics and morals. Her love for you is obvious, she loves Dan too, and is just trying to put her family back together. What a nice girl you have :)
Yup, she was trying to be a diplomat. Hope it works!
Wow, Dale. That's meaty conversation, and you both held it together. I think that's great.
Yes Dale, you will accept the baby but it takes time. Remind yourself that where you are is where you need to be and when you need to be in a different place, you will be prompted to move/be there. You're seeing things on this situation that I don't think the other people involved are capable or willing to see....thus its easier for them to be blinded by their emotions....you are thinking/processing on a different level than them. Its not necessarily right vs wrong - just you vs. different.
When you hold that baby - things will change. I promise.
Ask your girl to share some patience with you...and let her know that you are dealing with things from a parental position...while she is dealing with them from a sibling/teenager and they are different.
Dale, sometimes I swear that you're getting smarter every day. I think you handled that brilliantly.
"But it would be a meaningless gesture..." Not sure I agree with that. Years ago someone told me that emotions follow actions. I didn't like the guy and didn't believe it but I have found it to be true. If I don't feel loving, forgiving or whatever but I do something loving or forving then I begin to feel that way, but, it's tough and it takes time. I've had times in my life when neither my son nor daughter would speak to me and I was mighty angry with them and wanted to rush things. A mistake on my part.
It takes time and it will come for you and your children.
I appreciate your openness, honesty and thoughtful approach.
Dale ... me thinks sometimes you are too harsh with Kelly ... I can understand at times her parenting skills (and yes she does have some!) ... forgiveness is a hard pill to swallow sometimes as a parent ... especially when we are bent and determined that we are right in our own thinking and are determined to teach our children the "right" way and the "easy way" in life ... Kelly in light of turmoil going on around has accepted a bad situation and although perhaps she is not in agreement with the decisions that Dan has made she is allowing him the right to make 'his' own way in life ... standing back far enough for him to stumble and fall ... but just close enough to know that he is not "alone" ... life is like that Dale, we can not always accept and agree with everything our children do ... but if we wish to have a relationship with them and the precious lives that they bring into our life we have to at least accept the fact that they will make decisions that we don't like ... and we have to make whatever attempts ... even small ... to let them know that we are there and that we want to be there ... Bravo Scout and your suggestion ... as small a gesture as it would be it could be the gesture that saves you from being a very lonely old man in the future.
Who am I to comment on something like this, I don't have children and so I can't know the happiness and disappointment they must bring with them but I do have parents and I am someone's child. I'm kinda in the middle on this one, yayyy for you and Mwegan for having such a conversation so openly and without 'losing it' but I can't help but feel that whilst I understand your concerns for Dans situation a small gesture might not go amiss, entirely genuine or not. Sometimes we just need a little proof that we are still loved despite our failings and mistakes. I imagine Dan knows in his heart what a mess he has created but he seems to be trying to do what he at least thinks is the right thing but with only Kelly on his side he doesn't have much support at a time when he is maybe struggling if the truth be known.
I could feel the tension and frustration in that conversation, dear Dale, but I think you both handled it very well. I have moved more times than I can count and changed schools many more times than I want to admit so I know how difficult it can be and will be for Meagan. Not just the distance, but the new school, falling behind, friends but mostly the lack of stability in her life. Being a teen is hard enough, without all the extra stress. I hope things will work out positively for everyone.
They only thing I would say Dale is.....WWJD.....Yes, I said it...
Jesus would love Dan, Maxine and the unborn baby.
PLAIN AND SIMPLE.....
We main not agree with the choices that our kids make, but we love them through it, unconditionaly 100%.
I know understand this 100% Dale, why cause I'm living it.
It is not for US to make the choices for our kids, they will do that REAGARDLESS and in SPITE of what we say.
Just keep loving them through it.
I want to say more, but I don't think this is really the place.
So hang in and remember...WWJD...
You asked 'Why would God let this happend?' Cause everything in life is a test...and it makes us closer.....
Good Luck my Friend
I'm inclined to agree with I Wonder, but having said that, it is difficult to do when you don't feel you are being genuine. Ponder on it- you'll come up with the right decision in the end.
I was going to comment yesterday, but didn't. More often than not I agree with you and so often respect you and try to live up to the way you deal with things. But I have to agree with 'I Wonder'. You need to make a gesture to Dan, whether it feels comfortable or not, for the sake of the relationship you have with him now and in the future.
And btw - Meagan's fantastic and so are you.
I just had another thought Dale as I clicked back out of these comments. You write to Ms J, and Journal this is. For all the years I privately wrote a journal (and they're stashed away in my wardrobe), I'm not sure I'd have liked my journal answering back!!!
I guess you welcome comments otherwise you wouldn't have a link for them, but I'm not sure I'd like people telling me what to do, and I'm not sure either that I have the right to comment on such a major, important, real life event. But I did (and I suspect will continue to do so, cos that's me, I'm full of opinion!!)
You'll do the right thing - you always do xx
Dale I feel for you. It's not easy is it having your kids so far away, making mistakes that you can't do anything about.I'm in the same situation. My kids have all come back to loving Dad now, it took 2 years but we got there. Keep up the good work and only you know when it'll be the right time to build bridges, Donna tried to push the making up with Sam but I knew it was best to leave her to come round in her own time and she did.
Keep pouring your heart out on the blog. It helps me whenever I have anything troubling me.
Post a Comment
<< Home