A middle-aged WASP examines his Life, his heart and his home. Sometimes it all makes perfect sense. Not lately, though.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Thursday, June 19, 2008

Good-bye, Meagan

Today’s the day. This is the day I’ve been dreading for five months. This is Meagan’s last day here with me. My home will no longer be her home, Ms J. And I feel so sad.

She told me her plan from the beginning. She was going to stay here until school was finished in June, and then go to live with RJ in Georgetown. That was her plan. I knew she’d go. But I always hoped maybe she’d change her mind. I always hoped maybe she’d grow to like it here with me. Maybe she’d find some friends here, or a job, and want to stay. But that hasn’t happened, Ms J.

Soon, I’ll drive Meagan and her meagre possessions to Georgetown where she’ll wave good-bye for the last time and skip up the concrete steps to RJ’s Spartan home. She won’t call me on Sunday as she has every Sunday for five months to arrange a pick-up time. She won’t wake up here on Monday morning. We won’t have breakfast together.

Her bedroom here is tidy. Tidy and empty. And the hole in my heart is slowly filling with hopes and prayers for my daughter.

Keep her safe, Lord. Remind her how much her daddy loves her. And how he misses her. And how very proud he is of her.

Bye, Scout. Thanks for making me so proud. Thanks for doing so well in school. Thanks for being a good daughter. Every day with you was good. I’ll remember every hug, every smile, and every teardrop. And if you ever want to come home, my door will be open for you. My arms and my heart and my door will always be open for you. And you’ll always have a home here with me.

I love you.

x

3 Comments:

Blogger Dora said...

Dale,
What would be the problem with the two of you coming up with a game plan?
Some questions that come to mind:
- What kind of arrangement can you two work out that would allow her some independence with the guy she loves and you the contact that a daddy needs and craves? Even if it is just to hear what is happening in her life and that she is ok?
- Could you not come up with an agreement in advance that you will meet every so often for a meal to hug and catch up with each other's lives?

I know your heart is breaking but I see this as a great beginning for BOTH of you. It will take both of you; however, to nurture and care for your relationship. Since you are the adult, you could be the one to initiate the "discussion of the plan"
D

19 June 2008 at 19:11  
Blogger Dale said...

No worries, Dora. She has her cell phone. We'll connect once in a while to share a hug and a home cooked meal. She's not gone forever. It just feels that way.

19 June 2008 at 19:30  
Blogger Donna said...

I'm feeling your pain Dale and trying not to shed a tear for your loss (cos I'm at work and I'd look silly). It's just a good job that she's such a great kid and you know she'll be fine. I'm sure it means a lot to her that your door remains open. XX

23 June 2008 at 05:49  

Post a Comment

<< Home