A middle-aged WASP examines his Life, his heart and his home. Sometimes it all makes perfect sense. Not lately, though.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Monday, October 08, 2007

Stuffing and Other Stuff

It's been a lovely weekend, Ms J. Things worked out brilliantly!

Mum's turkey dinner was planned for Sunday, not Saturday. As a result, I was happy to accept an invitation to Ophelia's family gathering here in Mimico on Saturday, and then attend the Pringle Thanksgiving celebration on Sunday. Ophelia and her daughter joined me. We even stopped in Georgetown on the way to collect Dan and Sarah.

The meal was superb, the company agreeable. The weather was cool and damp and foggy, but did nothing to dampen our spirits. Everyone got on well and brother Pat even offered a toast to the newest family members. I'm sure Sarah and Ophelia were honoured to have been so recognised. Dan and I both smiled our approval as we clinked our stemware. I wished so much that Meagan had been with us. That would have made it perfect. I didn't allow my regrets to spoil my family time, though.

Dad invited us, one at a time, to state one thing for which we were most thankful. The answer varied little from person to person: Family. Home. Kith and kin. When it came my turn, I answered without hesitation. "I'm thankful for Ophelia."

After dinner, Pat entertained us with a fireworks display in Dad's big back garden. It was exciting, Ms J. We all enjoyed it.

And I didn't even have to book sick to gain the time off work. It happened that I bid on (and was awarded) a temporary regular assignment that has weekends off. Today (Monday) is the official Thanksgiving holiday so I don't have to report for work until 4:40 tomorrow morning.

I wonder how my daughter is doing? More thoughts on that tomorrow. Happy Thanksgiving, Ms J.

***

2 Comments:

Blogger Jennytc said...

Great stuff, Dale! So pleased you had such a lovely weekend.

8 October 2007 at 14:54  
Blogger Donna said...

Excellent Dale. Things have a way of working themselves out :D

9 October 2007 at 05:00  

Post a Comment

<< Home