A middle-aged WASP examines his Life, his heart and his home. Sometimes it all makes perfect sense. Not lately, though.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Thursday, August 23, 2007

Pringle's Shingles

The job's begun, Ms J, after an inauspicious start.

A loud knock on the door woke me at 7:00 Tuesday morning. I descended the stairs and opened the door in my bath robe.

“Sorry,” said the grinning man on my front porch. “But I’m here to deliver this bin. You’ll have to move your car.”

The roofing company had arranged for a large rubbish bin to be placed in my driveway to accommodate layers of asphalt shingles that would be removed from the roof. I moved the car onto the street and returned home. In a minute, the man had placed the bin and disappeared with his large truck. I went back to bed.

The phone woke me again twenty minutes later. It was a man from the roofing company.

“Yeah, I’m sorry Mr. Pringle, but we’re a bit behind schedule. We won’t be able to start your job until tomorrow. I hope that doesn’t cause too much inconvenience.”

I told him not at all and informed him the bin had been delivered.

“Really?” he said. “OK, then. Thanks.”

He hung up. And I went back to sleep.

A few minutes later, I was awakened again. There was a big truck of some sort on the street in front of my home. I went back downstairs and peered through the window. It was another truck like the first one, only this time, the man was collecting the bin and lifting it with a hydraulic winch onto the back of the truck. In a moment, they were gone.

I didn’t bother returning to bed this time.

But the next day was better. More productive. I returned home from work Wednesday morning to find another huge bin in the driveway. Two men were on my roof and another was carrying bundles of shingles to a lifting device and raising them one by one to the roof. The job had begun, Ms J.

It was so dark in here! They’d covered all the doors and lower windows with plywood to prevent mishaps.

 
Posted by Picasa


Work continues apace on the roof. The lads didn’t finish the job yesterday, although they did finish removing three layers of shingles. They also cut holes for proper soffit venting and installed baffles there to help direct flow-through air. They installed a vent pipe on my bathroom exhaust fan. They covered the naked roof with plastic tarpaulins in case of rain and it was after 7:00 when they left here last night.

Work recommenced at 8:00 this morning. Intermittent thumping and pecking continue above my head as I write. Hopefully, the job will be done today.

I'm off now to have a cuppa with Colleen. Then off to work.

Cheers!

Oh, and be sure to click on the photos to see them up-close-and-personal-like. Picasa's awesome. Say that three times fast, Ms J. I dare ya!

***

2 Comments:

Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

Lucky to have a contractor do it. I did my re-roofing of my two story house with a cottage roof by myself. It took me three weeks.
I had to put up and take down six sections of scaffold on each side of the house in turn. I stripped off the old shingles. Cut in a skylight. Lugged shingles up an extension ladder, one bundle at a time. Installed all the shingles.

I did all this and only fell off the roof once. . .luckily on the front side where I landed on the verandah roof among the trashed old shingles and nails. I don't recommend it. A contractor is a bargain.

23 August 2007 at 21:09  
Blogger PBS said...

Glad my house had been just re-roofed and sided when I bought it last year. "Pica saw some"

24 August 2007 at 07:52  

Post a Comment

<< Home