A middle-aged WASP examines his Life, his heart and his home. Sometimes it all makes perfect sense. Not lately, though.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Thursday, August 16, 2007

Three Happy Phone Calls

I overcame my aversion to cell phones a few months ago and bought one. Remember, Ms J? It has paid for itself already for about 3 years in the calls I've gotten for work. It has allowed me the freedom to roam about without fear of missing a call from work and suffering the resulting discipline. But today, Ms J, today was the best cell phone day ever. I received three brilliant calls while I was at work in Oakville.

1. Meagan called from home. "Guess what, Dad? I just got a call from a lady at the Superstore. They want me to start work tomorrow. Tomorrow, Dad! Sweet, eh? I've got a job! My first job ever. I just wanted to let you know so you could think of me tomorrow and be proud."

I'm smiling proud even as I tell you about it, Ms J. I'm terribly proud of her. And I will be thinking of my girl tomorrow, between 10:00 and 4:30.

2. Dan sent me a text message. "Sarah and I are going to put a down payment on an apartment tomorrow, Dad. A real apartment. Our very own place. In another week or so, I'll have enough for first and last month's rent. I've been working every day!"

I sent him back a message. "Good news, Dan! Excellent! And Meagan starts her new job tomorrow. Both of my kids are working! I'm so very proud of BOTH of you!!"

In a moment, he replied. "Mostly me, though. Right?"

And I could imagine him grinning wryly as his fingers worked away on the keypad.

"LOL!" I wrote. "Yeah, Dan. Mostly you. I love you, son."

"I love you too, Dad. See ya later."

3. The last call came from a man named Nelson. He works for Peter and Greg Walker Roofing. "Can we send a foreman round tomorrow morning, Mr. Pringle? He'd like to meet you and see the work site. We'll begin the job next week if that's alright with you."

It's been a fabulous day, Ms Journal. Ab fab, as they say in England. Daniel, Meagan and I. We're all moving forward. New home, new job, new roof.

It's all good. It's all so very GOOD!

***

5 Comments:

Blogger PBS said...

That is fabulous that things are turning out well!

17 August 2007 at 06:50  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Thumbs up.

17 August 2007 at 09:36  
Blogger Jennytc said...

That's brilliant, Dale. I'm so pleased things are going well.

17 August 2007 at 13:22  
Blogger Christine said...

I am so happy that things are working out well for your family Dale. Congratulations Dale.

17 August 2007 at 23:47  
Blogger Donna said...

Hi Dale ... Just got back from a week in France with 4/6ths of our kids. So glad to hear all is well. Dan and Meagan have jobs!!! Yay!! :D

18 August 2007 at 06:26  

Post a Comment

<< Home