A middle-aged WASP examines his Life, his heart and his home. Sometimes it all makes perfect sense. Not lately, though.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Friday, June 15, 2007

On My Soapbox

I'd just finished doing some work in the garden this morning and the sun was getting hot. I wiped my sweaty face and decided I'd done enough for the moment. I poured a glass of lemonade from a plastic jug in the fridge and sat down at the little table on the deck to enjoy my drink. The sun was bright and the sky was flawlessly clear. A gentle breeze tugged at the white sheets on the clothes line next door. It was a perfect day. I sipped from my glass and smiled at the wonder of it all. Then I reached for my cigarettes.

I don't smoke, Ms Journal. I used to, but I quit. It was November of 2000. I'd been taking steps to regain control of my Life and tobacco was just another addiction. It was difficult to quit, but quit I did. And I will never go back.

So what on earth, do you suppose, made me reach for a smoke today? It was such a familiar motion. Comfortable. Comfort-ing, I think is a more honest description of the feeling. It's been nearly seven years since my last cigarette. And I still think about it. The Truth, is that I think more often about smoking than about doing drugs.

Anyone who underestimates the addictiveness of tobacco is a fool, Ms J. And they're only fooling themselves.

Will someone help me down from this box?

***

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think you need any help getting down off a soapbox. I thought it was an interesting and honest post.

I have never been addicted to tobacco, but I though what you said was quite interesting. I think I will get my kids to read your post. Hopefully they can see the wisdom in it before they are tempted with smoking.

15 June 2007 at 14:43  
Blogger PBS said...

I smoke once in awhile, but can take it or leave it. I've gone a year and a half and more at a stretch without smoking. Although I had two this spring so can't say that anymore. But I suppose it's rather like playing with fire (no pun intended!) to think I can stay non-addicted?

16 June 2007 at 20:11  

Post a Comment

<< Home