A middle-aged WASP examines his Life, his heart and his home. Sometimes it all makes perfect sense. Not lately, though.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Anything for a Friend

Hang on, Ms J. I've got to have a good, big stretch.

Eeeeeeeeeee-yaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh.

There. That's better. I'm tired today. I had a busy day yesterday. Andra cleaned and scraped and debrided and de-plaqued the last of my teeth yesterday morning. Then I went to work. Twice. I worked all night last night and I'm just home now.

I was nearly three hours in that dental clinic. Andra really went to work on my teeth this time. She scraped them, then she polished them. Then she scraped a bit more. I must have the cleanest teeth in the world by now.

"Andie," I said, "my teeth are so clean, I'll bet I could eat off them."

"I've got to make sure I didn't miss anything," she told me. "The instructor will be round in a minute to check my work. They're really fussy about everything, you know. They check to make sure ..."

And she prattled on about the importance of getting it just right while my jaw ached from holding my mouth open for three hours.

"This will be your last visit for six months, Dale. I really appreciate ---"

"OUCH!" I said. She'd pricked my gum with her instrument. It hurt like hell.

She put her hand over my mouth to quiet me.

"Shhhhh! Be quiet! We get an automatic "F" if we injure the client. Now open up."

I slowly opened my mouth again and moved my tongue to feel the sore spot. I tasted blood.

"I hope I didn't cause any soft tissue trauma," she whispered. "Move your tongue out of the way."

She pulled my cheek back with a gloved finger and winced.

"Shit! I took a big chunk out of your gum. Shit! I am so screwed now. I'm going to fail this exam."

She found a piece of gauze and pressed it hard on the injury.

"OW, Andie! Hat hucking hurts!"

"Shut up!" she said through clenched teeth. "Shut up and stop bleeding!"

I looked up into her frantic face and for a moment she stared at me. Then I watched as her eyes softened. A smile appeared and she began to chuckle.

"I'm sorry, Dale. I guess I'm a bit anxious about this part. When she comes to check my work, try not to open your mouth too wide. Maybe she won't notice the tissue damage."

And so it went. The teacher checked Andra's work and didn't notice the bleeding. Andie passed with flying colours. She's happy. I'm happy too, because I don't have to return for six months.

By then, my friend will have more experience and less stress. Hopefully, next time she won't make me bleed at all!

***

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

:D

6 June 2007 at 12:57  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I think that some bleeding is just about part and parcel of most cleanings. But she's gotta watch those stray chucks. :)

7 June 2007 at 20:12  
Blogger PBS said...

Yikes, going to the regular dentist is bad enough! Although I have to say they all are very rough nowadays. I've experienced all four dental hygienists at my dentist's and they all have made my gums bleed and mouth sore. No wounds, however!

8 June 2007 at 08:55  
Blogger Jennytc said...

That was bravery beyond the call of duty, Dale! :)

9 June 2007 at 02:58  

Post a Comment

<< Home