A middle-aged WASP examines his Life, his heart and his home. Sometimes it all makes perfect sense. Not lately, though.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Thursday, May 31, 2007

People of Colour

I'm a racist, Ms J. I never knew it until yesterday when I was involved, apparently, in a racist incident. It happened at Mimico station, on the platform. Here's what happened:

I was walking along the platform with my conductor, awaiting the arrival of the train I was to operate for the afternoon when I noticed a young woman reading a book. I stopped and we chatted for a bit and I noticed she had a luminous smile with straight, white teeth.

"She sure was pretty, wasn't she?" I said to my mate as we headed for the far end of the platform. "I'm a sucker for straight, white teeth."

We approached an older woman next. I smiled at her and she smiled back. It was a glorious day, Ms J. I was in a fabulous mood.

"Lovely smile," I remarked then turned to my conductor again. "Did you notice the teeth? Nice and white."

Near the end of the platform, was a man. I smiled at him too and he returned a self-conscious grin.

"See that?" I said. "Gorgeous teeth. Straight and white."

We reached the end of the platform then and soon the train arrived. We relieved the incoming crew and proceeded downtown to Union Station where the conductor climbed down from the engine and went to fetch us some coffee. I busied myself with some paper work and suddenly, there was a stranger on the engine with me. It was the same man whose teeth I'd admired at Mimico.

He stuck his hand out and introduced himself. I told him my name and then he began.

"I was really offended by that comment you made at Mimico," he said. "It sounded quite racist. You'd better watch how you talk to people of colour."

I had no idea what this man was talking about, Ms J, but I let him continue. And I noticed for the first time that he was black.

"You can't do that, you know. You can't just walk up to a person of colour and make a comment about white teeth. Luckily, I'm a man of honour and I thought it best to speak to you directly rather than report the incident to your supervisor."

I wasn't sure whether the guy was doing me a favour, or whether he was giving me grief. It felt like the latter so I responded defensively.

"I never intended to make a racist remark, sir," I said. "If you heard it that way, that's your business and nothing to do with me."

"Yeah, well lucky for you I'm a man. I could report this but instead I thought I'd speak to you manno a manno. You've got to watch what you say to people of colour."

People of colour. That was the third time he used that expression. What the hell, Ms J? The guy was black. That's not a colour. Black is not a colour. Red is a colour. Orange and blue and green are colours. Black is a shade. And this guy was black. Quite honestly, I hadn't noticed until he made an issue of it. I wondered why he was so sensitive about his skin pigmentation. Was he ashamed of it? Self-conscious? What's the big deal about dark skin? Do I make an issue of my light skin? Am I a person of non-colour?

"Anyway, I'm going to let this go," he was saying. "You can consider it squashed. But honestly, you have to watch what you say around people of colour."

"OK," I said. "I will."

He left the cab of the locomotive and proceeded down the stairs to his non-coloured collar job and I was left feeling angry and confused.

I really don't think I did anything wrong. I was only commenting on his straight, white teeth. It was he who perverted it into something racist. And I believe he interpreted it that way because he was looking for racism. If you look for something, expect something, you'll probably find it. And he did. Trouble is, he could have reported it and caused me innumerable heartaches at work.

The incident completely ruined my bonny afternoon.

What have I learned from this, Ms J?
Never to talk to 'people of colour'?
That black people are very sensitive?
That I'm a racist bastard who'd better smarten up?

I guess I'd better be more cautious and more sensitive in the future, especially around people of colour.

***

9 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I guess there are a lot of filters between what is said and what is heard. There are people (of any colour or stripe) who assume the worst ... and there are many who don't. I am guessing that black people may hear about teeth often because the contrast between skin and teeth might make the teeth look whiter?? I dunno ... just a guess.

31 May 2007 at 10:46  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here are my thoughts:

I am not sure if you have many black friends or not, however the phrase ‘people of colour’ is *very* common; I am actually surprised that you had never heard it before. Yes the saying does not have logical roots (i.e. colour/black/white), but it is an extremely common (and apparently politically correct) phase that non-caucasion people use to describe themselves. (eg. http://www.forpeopleofcolor.org/)

I can see someone who is black possibly taking offence at a comment about white teeth. A one of many variations of a racist joke has a core punch line that you cannot see a black person at night until he/she smiles or grimaces (the crude thought being that the contrast of white teeth against a black face somehow shines out like a beacon). When I read your post, it conjured up images of Blackface (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackface) which I am sure you didn’t mean, but nevertheless it does.

Overall, I would be cautious to point out physical characteristics (good or bad) to strangers. Yes it is nice to be friendly and reach out to people; however starting with their physical attributes is not a great way to do it. Most people feel uncomfortable with a stranger telling them about their physical attributes (good or bad). I am almost a bit surprised that the ‘older woman’ did not complain about harassment too. When I ride public transportation, I certainly do not invite or expect transit workers to comment on my looks; I would feel extremely uncomfortable about that.

31 May 2007 at 11:28  
Blogger Dale said...

Well I'll be jiggered. OK, then. I guess I'll just act like a miserable old fuck at work and ignore people. Some people, it seems, are too sensitive even to accept a compliment.

Yes, I'm still upset about it. And the mere mention of "political correctness" brings my blood to a simmer.

31 May 2007 at 16:34  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perhaps the "politically correct" way of offering the compliment was "what a nice smile you have" ... I don't suppose anyone would walk up to another person and comment on "what crooked, yellow teeth you have" ...

31 May 2007 at 17:28  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dale said “…Well I'll be jiggered. OK, then. I guess I'll just act like a miserable old fuck at work and ignore people. Some people, it seems, are too sensitive even to accept a compliment…”

Oh come on Dale. You mean to tell me that the only two options that you see are to either comment on stranger’s appearance, or ‘act like a miserable old *explicitive*’? My three year old uses that sort of extremisim logic when he is upset. [Fine, if I can’t have that cookie, then I guess I will STARVE]. There are all sorts of ways you can reach out and be friendly to strangers without making them feel uncomfortable; the world is not as black and white as you make it there. With all due respect (and you seem to be a good guy), your response seems childish and angry.

I was on a bus one time and while waiting at a transfer stop, the driver noticed a book I was reading. Although he was a total stranger, he struck up a conversation with me indicating that he had also read that book and found it very compelling. I had a wonderful conversation with him for the remainder of my stops and that made my day. If he had started the conversation with “I could’t help noticing what beautiful breasts you have” *or even* “I couldn’t help noticing what beautiful teeth you have”, I would have moved to the back of the bus and gotten off at the next stop.

I too am no fan of “political correctness”, however I characterised that comment that way because it is just that; like it or leave it. I am still surprised that you give us the impression that you have never heard “people of colour”. It is a very common and accepted phrase used today in modern writing and culture. Either you did know it and you are being disingenuous here, or you are very sheltered from the printed word (which I find hard to believe).

S.

1 June 2007 at 09:32  
Blogger PBS said...

I have a friend who calls herself and her family "people of color" even though her white friends would call them "black" and a co-worker who calls herself "Indian" but we all call her "native" so guess it may be rather tricky to know what to call whom!

But I agree with the commenter who mentioned that compliments about physical attributes to a stranger can also be tricky and best avoided.

1 June 2007 at 21:38  
Blogger gemmak said...

ok....for what it's worth I'll stick my two penny worth in here.

Firstly I too hadn't heard the term 'people of colour' but perhaps that's only because I'm in the UK and maybe it's not used here, perhaps I just simply haven't heard it.

I have to say tho' that on the matter of racism I don't see what you said as racist, merely complimentary. I for one would be only too happy for someone to compliment me in such a way, yes even a stranger on the transport system!

I can however see how it might be misinterpreted but my feeling is that it would only be understood in a negative manner by an individual who is over sensitive. That is their problem not yours.It is perhaps the case that this man had good reason to be oversenstive but as a rational adult one would have hoped the compliment would have been taken as it was intended.

I am happy to do my best to be polite and sensitive to everyone, regardless of creed, colour etc. those things are not an issue and should not be an issue but political correctness has gone mad when you can't pay someone a compliment without it being politically 'incorrect'!

I find it very sad that whatever the reasons this man had for feeling as he did he couldn't just accept your compliment and let it brighten his day.

Don't you change a thing Dale, you are who you are....the world has gone nuts.

4 June 2007 at 17:17  
Blogger gemmak said...

p.s.

Sorry 'anonymous' but whilst you make some valid points surely there is a difference between commenting on someone's breasts or their teeth.... just as a woman might feel it appropriate to comment on a mans hair for instance but wouldn't dream of making comment on his penis!

4 June 2007 at 17:22  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

'Germak', you make a very valid point. Yes there is certainly a difference between 'breasts' and 'teeth' and perhaps those were not the best to put into the example.

I guess everyone is different in how they relate to people. Personally I will happly engage in converstion with a stranger about the weather, what I am reading, some situation or event that we are both observing, etc. However I feel very uncomfortable when men whom I don't know make any comment on my physical appearance, being breasts, teeth, legs, hair... whatever. I don't know if that makes me weird or not. It is just me.

Sarah.

5 June 2007 at 10:50  

Post a Comment

<< Home