Second Attempt
I worked the same train as yesterday. Same routine. Drove to G-town, brought the train to Mimico. I stopped on the way this morning and taped a note to Meagan's front door. I used a red magic marker and printed my message in great block letters:
SCOUT,
DINNER TONIGHT? 5:30? DAN TOO.
CALL MY CELL IF YOU CAN'T DO IT TONIGHT.
DAD
She called later while I was in the bank.
"Hi Dad."
"Hi Meagan!"
"Tonight's good for me, but Dan says he's real busy this week. Can we reschedule? He really wants to see you."
Busy? The Boy's busy? Doing what, I wondered, but didn't ask.
"It's hard, Scout. I have no schedule at work. Do you think he might be able to do it last minute?"
"I dunno. Maybe. I'll see what he says. He does want to see you, Dad."
"And I'd like to see him too. I haven't seen him since Christmas."
"Yeah. We'll work something out. Do you still want to have dinner together tonight? Even without Dan?"
"Sure, Meagan. That'd be great. Just you and me."
"Can I bring Stevie?"
"Is that your boyfriend?"
"He's a boy, Dad. And he's my friend."
I thought about it for a second before I answered her. I wonder what this goomer looks like. Painted eyes? Head like a cockatoo?
"OK," I said. "Bring Stevie too."
"That's great! Thanks Dad! See you around 5:30 then?"
"Yup. See you ... and Stevie ... at 5:30."
"Love you to the moon and back."
"I love you to the moon and back too, Meagan."
"Bye."
"Bye, honey."
Hmmm. Stevie, eh?
Don't worry, Ms J. I'll be cool. Hey. I'm always cool.
***

2 Comments:
'Goomer'...lol, I've never heard that before, love it, kinda sums up alot in just one word. I'm sure he'll be fine, all you can do is give him a chance, I don't suppose it will be a lifelong thing anways! ;o)
Hope you have/had a good time with Meagan and meeting Steve!
Post a Comment
<< Home